Should we free the whales?

First of all, I'm not part of PETA or any kind of animal rights group, but I think there comes a time when certain animals don't deserve to be locked in cages or in a tank. They need to be in their natural environment. For them it's like being institutionalized and quite frankly it's more safe for them to be out in the wild than doing tricks for people.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• the whales that are currently institutionalized in america would not survive in the wild. they have no skills. but they should be the last.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Are they being mistreated? I doubt it. Now, if you want to talk about other animals that are whipped and shocked as part of their training, that is different. I see very little difference between what Sea World does and an aquarium. I would love to be able to see a show at Sea World, and I dearly love aquariums. The environment that the whales and other aquatic creatures need to survive is so exact, that those who care for them really do have to CARE for them. They are NOT being abused in any way. They are beautiful creatures, and everyone should have an opportunity to see them.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Why, just to be hunted by illegal whalers? They are being well cared for now.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I thought MOST of the animals in captivity at zoos and aquariums were injured and RESCUED, and that is how they came to be at these places. I guess rescuers should have left them to suffer and die? Granted, trainers/handlers need to remember they are STILL wild animals, no matter how docile or used to humans they are now. Their natural instincts are always there!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Having animals, like whales, in our zoos or otherwise on display helps the community. People become attached to them, understand them more, and (hopefully) will respect and try to protect the animals natural habitats. It's hard for people to visualize these amazing creatures in the ocean from just seeing pictures. Getting up close and personal elicits an emotional response. We are also able to protect them from whaling and pollution. It's also important to study the animals, a better understanding means that we can assist if needed.

Most of the killer whales in captivity were either rescued, or born into captivity. Whether they could survive in the wild after a long period of captivity is questionable. They are treated very well in captivity, there are a LOT of groups that keep an eye on their welfare.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2010