We are big on Grits in our house.....

I was wondering when it would be ok to give it our 10 month old baby? She already eats real foods, Eggs, pasta, chicken, green beans, plums, corn peas, apples, cranberries, potatos, ect..
Her dr gave the OK because baby foods and formula wasn't filling her up at all.
I was just wondering if it would be ok to give her Grits now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh mom, my kids loved grits and they still do.. I think they started around that time also.. It is fine, just limit the butter and salt LOL.. Hard in a southern home.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As long as there isn't dairy, yes. There are so many grits recipes out there and some do call for dairy, which is off limits till the first birthday.

But remember that formula is still her MAIN food all the way to the first birthday. Babies who don't get most of their meals from formula or breastmilk in year one run the risk of being shortchanged. Bottle, THEN solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Dr told use to start milk. She is drinking whole milk for almost a month now. She is just fine. Same happened with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Oh and my children aren't " shortchanged"
    That is just an A$$ hole thing to say.
    My kids are JUST FINE and VERY smart and healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son tried them, liked them, but he is a bit older! I LOVE THEM TOO! I'd make sure they are well cooked and super soft just so the grains don't get stuck by her gums/in her throat. They can get sticky!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Grits will be fine - my son loves them!

Answer by missanc at 9:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• "Oh and my children aren't " shortchanged"
    That is just an A$$ hole thing to say.
    My kids are JUST FINE and VERY smart and healthy. "

I didn't say they ARE. I said they run a RISK OF. The formula has 100% RDA of everything baby needs, and sometimes solids DON'T.

*Typically* doctors don't allow dairy till one year because the infant system isn't ready for them. But otherwise, if you can cook it, baby can eat it and could starting right at six months. Peanuts and strawberries are your "risk" foods as far as allergies. But pretty much EVERYTHING is "on the table" so to speak.

I didn't mean to offend, nor was I trying to imply your children WERE shortchanged. But the way infants eat, they may not always get the full RDA of what they need when the majority of their and that's why DOCTORS recommend formula first, solids after.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010