Daughter in the hospital

My 2yo was put into the hospital around midnight. I took her in because she developed a fever that would not go down with tylenol or motrin, it came up very quick and would not go down at all. After about 3 hours I took her in, and they admited her with a heartrate of 280, had to sedate her and shock her to restart her heart at a more normal rate. So I have had a pretty scary night. I also have an 8 month old, who is nursing. And my husband just started a new job (last week) after being out of work for almost 6 months. The hospital is telling me I can not have my nursing daughter up there. But hubby HAS to go to work. And I can't leave my 2 yo up there by herself. Shouldn't I be able to call hospital administrator and make special arrangements?

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 4:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I am so sorry for what you are going thru!
    Sadly rules are rules, I don't see why they would have an issue sounds kind of stupid if y ou ask me. Maybe you can talk to a nurse there? I know sometimes the nurses will look the other way on small things like that. Can you get someone to watch her? I hop[e your little one gets better soon !!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You could maybe find someone to take care of the baby while you are at the hospital. You can leave pumped breast milk with the sitter and focus on your sick child. I don't know how you managed to find the time even to post here with all you have going on right now.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You can try but with the flu, H1N1 etc that is still going around, most hospitals have signs up not letting anyone under the age of 18 in unless they are sick. It is for their protection. I know it makes things harder for you. Having someone else care for the baby is the best you can do and still be their for your 2 year old.. Hugs to ya!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• With all that is going on with your 2yr old, I would think your dh's new employer would shove him out the door to go be with his child at the hospital. But since you are saying he can't, then you might just have to find someone to care for your little one, and you pump or either supplement for the next couple of days. Sometimes you might have to do what you have to do to get through some challenging times. If you are able to pump during that time, that would be great as well.
    At this point, I would just be calling my mom and having her come help me and let her deal with the feeding issue and I would be at the hospital 24/7 with my little one..
    Good luck and I hope everything works out and that your dd gets better soon!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 8:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm assuming that she is in the PICU where other children are just not allowed.... period. Your hubby should be able to take off work, even if it's a new job.... his DAUGHTER is in the hospital! I don't know any employer that would be so heartless to say.. too bad. If he really can't take off... then ask some neighbors, friends... church members, whoever to watch your 8 month old for a little while.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2010