induction question

how many of you who got induced, ended up with a c-section?
and why did you have to get the c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 40% of moms who are induced wind up with a C-section. This is for two main reasons.

Reason 1-stalled labor. If your body isn't ready to go into labor, it's not going to dilate no matter what they do to it. They break your water in the process, so there's no going back, and you wind up with a C-section to avoid infection, or even if they didn't break your water, if it's a true emergency and baby really does need to be born, then they section you if you're not dilating fast enough.

Reason 2-fetal distress. Induced labors are NOT the same as natural labors. Your brain is not getting the usual dose of the oxytocin cocktail and so your endorphins run lower than in a natural labor. This, combined with the harder, faster contractions of Pitocin makes it really hard on baby, and they often do not tolerate labor well, and go into distress (or suspected distress... that's a whole different issue).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Induced at 38 weeks - no csection. I did not have any cervadil, just the pitocin. (My contractions also weren't any harder or faster than they had been with my 2 previous "regular" vaginal deliveries.) I was very happy with my induction. People can judge me, but they weren't in my shoes and have no idea what my circumstances were.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was induced due to elevated blood pressure at 37 1/2 weeks. Things got under way around noon and I delivered my daughter at 4:21 AM - a vaginal delivery. My sister was induced 3 times, only one ended up in C-section but that had to do more with the fact that the placenta had begun to pull away and she was bleeding heavily and the cord had been wrapped 2 times around my nephews neck. Had they kept going with a vaginal delivery, we might have lost both of them.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I've been induced 3 times and never had a c section.

First child, water broke but no contractions. The window of opportunity was closing and had to be induced with Pitocin.
    Second child was 2 weeks late, induction only included having my water broken. The rest of the birth was natural.
    Third child, the doctor was worried about him being too big. Induced with Cervadil only. The rest of the birth was natural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010