Do u have to have pain to have contractions?

I went in today because i was dilated. she wanted me to take a stress test i was my normal 10-15 but then it showed every 2 ta 3 mins i have light contracting? she sent me home. Can u be more dilated without contracions?

Pooky0815

Asked by Pooky0815 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When I first went into labor my contractions felt like I had to pee every 2 minutes. After about 20 minutes or so I started timing them and was like wow, i think I am in labor. That was at 6:30 in the morning. She was born at 8:55 that same morning. So no, contractions don't always have to be painful in the beginning. But they did get stronger and more painful the longer I was in labor. This was true for me with my other 2 children also.. Yes, you can dilate without contractions. Many women are 4 cm or more before labor begins and never feel contractions at all until active labor begins.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• so this is common????
    Pooky0815

Answer by Pooky0815 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It's common enough that you should know about it. Not all women experience pain in labor and not all women who experience painful labors have pain from the beginning. Like the PP said, it's definately not unheard of for moms not to have pain at all until labor is very active.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• When I went to the hospital to be induced with my first I was contracting when I got there and had no idea. After I was hooked up to monitors I contracted for a good 6 hrs and never felt it. So yes you can contract and dilate without having pain. Friends of mine have gone to the hospital once they started having painful contractions and they were already over 4 cm dilated, some even 6 cm. I however never dilated and ended up having a c-section after 27 hrs. Good luck!!
    Steph2717

Answer by Steph2717 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I went to the hospital to get checked out because it felt like someone was pinching me. not bad at all but when i got there I was dialated to a 9. so yes you can have contractions with no pain. the only part that hurt like hell was pushing.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• yes it's very normal. lots of women will be dilated without ever feeling contractions. you have to have contractions to dilate your cervix but you don't necessarily have to feel them. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010