Should I go red?

I've been toying with the idea of coloring my hair red. Not a bright red, more like an auburn. I've always thought red hair is so pretty!! As you can see by my profile pic, I have fair skin and freckles, so red hair might look okay, but I have heavy, dark eyebrows, so I'm not sure!! I've never done anything this dramatic with my hair before, so I'm nervous about making such a big change. Any thoughts?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 7:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• deciding to go this color is a big deal. since if not done right you can end up with purple hair, or worse. plus once you go dark is super hard to go back to something else. it would take a lot of stripping and bleach to do so. and isnt fun trust me.if i were you id say no. i may get some red highlights put in my hair but dont do the whole thing. at least not at once. do the highlights and if ya like it then go for it. but go to a professional so they can do it right.
    and good luck
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm a redhead, I love it. However, I would tell you, if you are trying to do it with color, go to a professional. That way they can help determine what shade of red would compliment your skin tone (undertones) the best. Are you a warm or cool tone? Things like that. Also like sandra mentioned, perhaps start out with highlights first and gradually work your way to it if you like it. I do know that reds fade quickly and require more upkeep than other colors.
    Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 8:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have done it and as much as I love other redheads, and even liked it on myself, it is a pain in the butt. Red is the fastesst fading color, so mine always turned pinkish in no time. And I didn't like the fact that you can only really wear earthy tones with red hair. Idk, it's up to you but it is a huge commitmtent.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I agree with the fading fast! You need to make sure you are using a very good sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. that will help. but maintenance is alot. I have to get mine freshened up at least every 6 weeks because it starts to look brassy.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• red, or auburn, does look great, but be warned it is a very hard color to get out! I have forgotten that one. I have blond hair and a few years ago went all over red. I had to bleach my hair to get the red out, wait a week with this funky bleach, then dye it a normal blond color. I seem to have forgotten all the hassel, because i just dyed some of my hair red last month. i recently dyed the red a dark brown color. I am trying to slowly go back to blond, hopefully!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010