HELP! Sleep Issues

My 17m old son USED to go to bed between 7-7:30 p.m. and wake up between 6-7 a.m. with occasionally waking in the night. Most of the time, he'd fuss/talk a bit, and go back to bed. NOW, he's taking at least 30 minutes to fall asleep after I put him down and has been waking up around 4:30-5 a.m.! Most of the time, I don't go to him until 6 (I don't want him to think this 5a.m. stuff is ok, haha), but today he was screaming his head off. It seems he's hungry. We make sure he eats well before bed.
He's been unconsistent with his nap lately, but consistent with this late to bed, early to rise stuff. What gives? Suggestions?! Thanks, moms!

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 8:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He probably is hungry. My son did this too for about 7 months starting at 13 months. Just take him a little snack bowl of things that won't make crumbs in his bed and give him a sippy cup of water. Baby Mum Mums make a great night time snack, so do mini rice cakes. My son would eat his snack and then lay down and go right back to sleep,
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• If it is taking 30 minutes to fall asleep he might be a little overtired. Try for a few days putting him to bed a little earlier to help him get back on track. Also maybe give him any extra big snack before bed. We always do plain yogurt, wheat germ, and some applesauce. I think the yogurt and wheat germ is a pretty filling snack.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010