Going from medium brown to light brown

I'm thinking about using one of those at home boxes to go a few shades lighter with my hair color. I'm just wondering if it's risky to try to go lighter at home or if I really need to leave this to a professional. I don't want to end up with any brassiness - however, I don't want to spend the money at a salon either.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 8:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I've done it but you have to kind of strip for your hair. Look for something called "Color Oops". It's less harsh than some of the other hair strips.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 8:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Go to a hairdresser. I always end up with either orangey hair or ashy dry hay. So go to them and then you can upkeep on your own if you don't want to spend. I go to a pro but she is 55 and has her own place in a basement of a 90 year old owner's house. I pay 10 dollars to dye my blonde sexy , long hair. I would have to pay at least 50 plus 12 tip up the block. Screw that with today's economy and that I don't work, I will pay the 10 dollars.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

•  You're not going to be able to go lighter without bleaching. Home box colors or professional products will not lighten without bleaching.

Forget using Color Oops - it's a product designed to remove artificial color but will not lift natural color.

Instead of attempting to lift all the color, I suggest to get highlights at a salon. It will look more natural and you won't have a distinctive line of color as it grows out - you will see that within a month of changing the color if you do the entire head.

The number 1 correcton we see in the salon is hair color. If you do not know what you are doing you could end up paying 2 to 3 times more getting it corrected than if you had it done in a salon the first time.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Dont do it yourself! At Fantastic Sams, for example, they only charge 40 bucks for all over color. That isn't too bad. Everytime I do mine by myself it takes so long to get it right, and I end up damaging my hair really bad. It's tempting, but you have to remember when you look at those pics on the boxes of color, those women usually have more than one color, not just the one in the box. I too am all about highlights, rather than all over color. So much more natural and vibrant looking.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010