CAn you give a dog dewormer 2x's in a week?

The first kind of dewormer is in little capsule and is only for 1 type of worms. We found a liquad that treats more than one. Would it harm the 6month old puppy to give him the liquad in the same week. We don't know for sure that he has worms but we are treating as a precaution!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pets

• I would take him to a vet with a stool sample. The vet will be able to tell if he has worms and what kind they are.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would not do it especially if it is an over the counter product. I would get him to the vet and have his stool checked because that is the only way to know for sure and what type he has.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The products you can get at the store are not very good: they are hard on the little puppy organs and they don't really kill all the worms either. They are a waste of money.

Your vet may give you an Rx of Panacur is you call in, let them know you got a new puppy, and want to do a precautionary worming. Most vets will want to see the dog. I have a good "old school" vet who will do a precautionary annual Panacur treatment without the fuss of coming in.

It's a 3 dose treatment given over 3 days. It's like a "manicure" for puppy guts. It's a powder you mix with their food. It does a broad spectrum-- round worms, whip worms, tape worms, etc.

make sure puppy gets plenty of water to flush his system from the store bought stuff.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• pyrantel pamoate is a good dewormer. It won't hurt your dog if the other wormer was tape. It should be given every two weeks three doses.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Also many wormers available at pet stores and such are very good. I use tractor supply.
    Carpy