How early did you know what your child's obsession would be?

It's really common for you children to have one thing that they are into above all others: Things that go, trains, dinosaurs, etc.

My son is 18 months and I'd say the majority of his vocabulary is animal names and he also has a whole bunch of animal noises that he makes all day. I think he's going to be really into animals. My nephew is super into cars (he could tell you the make and model of every car in the parking lot since he was three) and his first word was "car." So I am thinking that my son is going to be all about animals.

When did you become aware of your child's "thing"?
What is it that your child is into?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 9:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest was taking apart his toys and using screw drivers or butter knives to take off our kitchen cabinets at 1 and 2 years old. At 4 his curiousity continued and he'd ask a ton of questions about how things worked daily. At 13 he began taking apart old computers and reading huge books on computer programming. He began making his own websites at 14 and at 16 he got a job involving web design. He can take my computer apart and put it back together and can fix just about anything wrong with it at 19! I still miss the little boy that took apart all my things and wish I had encouraged it even more than I did!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Most of my son's vocabulary consisted of dinosaur names and fire truck information when he was 2-3, then he was all about anything Halloween for several years after that. He's forgotten some of the dino info and most of the fire trucks, but he's still into Halloween. (He's 13 now.) My daughter (5) has always loved animals and dancing.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My dd is into make-up, hair, nails, anything prissy. I swear, I didnt make her that way. One year for Christmas we got her a BBQ grill, and a little princess vanity set, thats how she got introduced to it.
    Like the PP, my daughter is also into Halloween, and she loves all holidays where there is a character to relate to.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Ever since she was about 2, my daughter has loved food. And planes.
    Anonymous