Do dads have more fears in trusting others to take care of the children than moms?

SIL wants to hire a baby sitter but my brother will only let my husband and I baby sit our nephew.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband insist only allowing my MIL/Fil watch our son. I agree with him b/c my parents well....Anyways, our son does attend preschool 3 days/week/1/2 days. That being said I had to literally talk my husband into being okay with our son attending preschool. He was afraid someone would hurt him, etc. So to compromise we visited over 20 preschools, went to each preschool and visited(suprise visits as well), and even now we are both very involved with preschool. Now he is relaxed when we are home and actually not really paranoid. Just out in public. Our son has attended same preschool for 2 years and my husband is still not relaxed 100% of the time! lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That's kind of reversed LOL.. most moms are more protective over the children than dad.. Dads will let just about anyone they know watch the kids while mom is the fussy one.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Oh no, my DH STILL is not 100% on our IHDC provider..She is Wonderful by the way. I think with dad's it is a control issue - it is out of their control so they fear the unknown.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Actually, my husband is more relaxed about who may watch our children than I am. Although he's not as laid back about it as many Dads. Right now we agree that only my Mom is fit to watch our children, especially the youngest (2 1/2). Admittedly, I worried about leaving the youngest with my Mom and he was fine with the idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It depends on the father because my brother is like that too. I'm the only one he asks to watch his kids. My husband only trusts my mom and brother/SIL to watch our kids. So I can understand how he would be cautious. Hey you just never know.
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 9:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My husband is way more cautious about our son than I am. It's not that I don't worry at all, but I have no problem leaving him in the church nursery - they have a really good security system (they run a preschool down there during the week), and we have a pager if they have any problems, but my husband is still always wanting to go down and check on him, peek in the door, etc. Other than that, both of our parents live in town so they are always the ones to keep him when we have somewhere to go.

Answer by missanc at 10:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My husband wants to put our son in a bubble.. literally. my son is VERY active , I mean OUR son haha... and my husband is constantly saying "be careful buddy, watch out, becareful..." ugh.. we also had to get rid of our coffee table so he didn't bump into it or run in to it. ugh.. he FREAKS if he gets hurt... He actually feel off his stool while we were burshing our teeth and my husband ran in there and our son's mouth was bleeding and he said OMG.. you have to watch him, you need to be more careful, great.. that's all he needs ... later he appologized for his over reaction but this is typical. He won't even let him run outside without mentioning a bunch of times to be careful/watch out etc.. I keep telling him he needs to fall to learn to be careful but to him, that means I WANT him to get hurt.. He can't see reality.. and he won't let anyone watch him either except our mom's..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Mom2 and Max are two great answers. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2010