My son just turned a year old.. So do I have to give him milk?

He is breastfed and I give him goats cheese, yogurt (with D3), and regular cheese (sparingly) so do I have to give him milk??

He eats calcium fortified whole pasta and whole oat bread, eggs in varying forms, and of course all sorts of veges and fruits. He also eats meals with us depending on what it is.

He drinks maybe 4 oz of water out of his sippy's and 2 oz of juice out of his sippy's - I offer water at every meal but that is about all he drinks. And he nurses a lot, like every 2 hours during the day.

So should I be putting milk in his sippy's or not?

Do I still nurse before meals or do I nurse after them?

Do I push more water on him?

I'm asking in 0-12 because he just turned a year it's not like a magic switch went off, but I don't know if I should step up the solids/milk products or not and am confused about it all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you don't HAVE to. There is no LAW saying that you HAVE to give him milk! He's just allowed to have it now! You're doing just fine!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 9:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Give him what you think is the right thing to give him. Call the health dept nutritionist and get some ideas. You don't have to do what the majority of others do just bc they did

Answer by admckenzie at 9:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think giving cow's milk to children is a very much a tradition in this country, but an unfounded one. I have spent a lot of time researching it and for me, the risks outweight the benefits. To answer your question though - no you do not have to give your child milk. My daughter is allergic to milk (not all dairy and not lactose intolerant) and she is perfectly healthy at 10 yrs old without it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i do. is my choice, you dont have to if you dont want too. ds has been on whole milk since 11 mts. he turn 1 on sunday
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• OP here) So those of you who don't want to give milk AT ALL... am I doing something wrong by giving the yogurt and goat cheese??? It'd be weird if I was, my lactose intolerant uncle could eat goat cheese/yogurt but not drink milk, eat icecream etc. without taking one of those medicines.. so I thought the yogurt and goat cheeses were much easier on digestion than other milk products and that's why I didn't see a problem giving them to him

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• is a choice. your not doing anything wrong by giving your child that stuff, is a personal choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• NO human ever NEEDS to drink milk from another species, if he is breastfed, continue as long as it works for the both of you. We do not drink cows milk at all, none of my children ever have. Nor do I intend to allow them to, we use almond milk with our cereal, and do use about an 8oz brick of cheese every couple of weeks, but that is it. There are much better things you can feed a child than "Milk", which is in NO WAY wholesome... It is for baby cows, not people. Just continue giving him people milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• OP-you are doing fine. Honestly. I think you're making too big a deal about it. Your baby needs calcium, and milk(yes-including goat's milk) is fine. If no human needs to drink milk from another species ever-why did God lead the Israelites from Egypt to Canaan-
    "a land flowing with MILK and honey"...
    So...yeah.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 10:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• ObbyDobbie, I was just concerned about protein and iron intake mainly. I am really anemic ever since I started breastfeeding him, and I keep trying different supplements but I'm still tired and covered in bruises head to toe. And he doesn't like meat - he picks through casseroles and such and spits out the venison burger and chicken etc. and hates tofu.. so I started giving him whole grains, goats cheese, and yogurt to try to supplement the protein and iron he wasn't getting with meat and the iron he probably was not getting from me. And for some reason he also hates the texture of squash unless it's puree'd but I do give him puree's squash every day too, but I am still concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Ann, I make a deal out of it because his father has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE spastic colon and IBS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2010