Why does my baby scream during bath time?

My 5mo son loathes bath time. He hears the running water, and starts fussing. Am I doing something wrong? The temperature is ALWAYS tested before we start, and bathes are super fast. I've tried sponge bathes, and I get the same outcome. Please help!!

mrsGcluney

Asked by mrsGcluney at 9:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be the tub. Could be the way you hold him, he may not feel secure. Could be something in the water that stings his skin. Could be lots of things. Talk to the doctor. When our kids were that small me or my (x) dh would get in the tub and the other would hand the baby over so we could hold the child and talk to him/her during the bath. This worked for them. My adult kids wouldn't take the time to do that, they just let their kids scream. I thought that sucked. Oh, with it being winter and their clothes are off, maybe they get cold. Even a heater blows out drafty air. You just don't know what makes them scream sometimes.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son didn't really like the bath until he could sit up and splash in it. I think it's fairly normal. It's cold, it's wet, etc. I would just make it as quick as possible and get it over with. It could be that he doesn't like the noise of the water. Could you get your dh to run his bath, or you do it while your husband holds him in another room and then take him in when the water is already in the tub?

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thanks ladies:)

Now. What is the world is a dh??
    mrsGcluney

Answer by mrsGcluney at 9:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• dont bathe him when he's fussy, but when he's in a good mood. also turn on the heater to your house too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It is the soap in his eyes. there are better ways to shampoo his hair. Just keep it out of his eyes and he will stop fussing about baths.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I found out I was making the water too cold. My daughter didn't like baths at first either. Once I made the water warmer, she loves them. Maybe give it a try.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Also, make sure the ambient temperature is warm. Even if the bath is warm, it sucks if the rooms makes you feel chilled.

I won't immersion bathe my baby until she can sit up. I sponge bathe. also, use a wash cloth to wash hair. Babies don't get all that dirty to require a lathered shampoo!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I took baths or showers with my son from about 1 month-3 years or so. Kept him happy and saved my back. I intend to do the same with the baby I'm baking now! I'm not even gonna bother with a baby bath!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your advice =)
    mrsGcluney

Answer by mrsGcluney at 12:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• dh = dear husband. :-) My son used to freak out as a newborn, so I put one of those giant sponge things (on the counter, hands on the whole time, later moved it to the tub) and I laid him on his back while I sang songs to him. He eventually liked the tub - a whole bunch! It turned into his favorite activity, even before sitting up. Also, keep an eye out for dry skin/eczema - which can be irritated by soap & water sometimes. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010