What are your thoughts on cheerleading?

I have a 14-year-old daughter who wants nothing more to then to make the cheerleading team next year at high school. I have recently been unemployed and the cost of this is out of this world! They want $600-$1200 just for the outfit and then another $330 to go to camp......I am worried. Of course I want her to do something she is this passionate about but I am worried. Anyone else been in this boat?

Lynn2525

Asked by Lynn2525 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter is only 10 but was given a chance to be on a competitive cheer team in our city. It would have cost around $2000-$3000 a year to join. I am unemployed as well but wanted to support her in whatever she wanted so I told her that if she was 100% committed (no missing practices, whining, complaining, etc.) that I would find a way to make it work. She in end decided that she wasn't ready for that commitment but if she had choose to do it I would have absolutely supported her, even if it meant selling items in my house to do so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Wow, our cheerleaders here to attend camps but do not have to pay for their school uniforms other then the shoes and bloomers. There may be a program to help her with the fees if she does make the program. Cheerleading can be a great sport for your daughter, but often it is hard to make the team unless they are REALLY good. Not saying she is not good, but is hard to make the team unless she has been in the for years. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I loved cheerleading. It helped my confidence and was something that I really enjoyed. It was $600 back when I was a cheerleader and my parents didn't have much money at all. They just found a way to pay for it. My school always paid for the camp. I think you should talk with the cheerleader sponsor and see if you two and the other moms could organize some fund raisers to pay for camp. Even just a few bake sales would help a whole bunch. My school also allowed us to sell canned soft drinks at lunch time to raise money.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Ummm no. I support my kids to an extent, but I'm not going to sacrifice everyone else in the family and their comfort for cheerleading. Cheerleading of all things! Really? Yeah they may get a scholarship but what kind of living would they make? Cheerleading is a joke IMO and I think they're time is much better spent doing dance, besides it's cheaper, less clique-y, and not nearly as obnoxious and skany.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• ANON 10:4 - Seriously? You must have just graduated high school yourself because any intelligent, mature mother would not categorize all cheerleaders as being obnoxious and "skany" which I'm assuming you meant "skanky". What about supporting our kids no matter what they do? So do all boys have what it takes to be MLB players? But it seems fine to support them in their baseball games and such. Or the football players at a high school level? How many of them go pro? Should we cancel those games then too? Get a life! Seems someone is still a little bitter from not being in the popular crowd!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Well if she is good she can get scholarships and lots of doors opened for her...You didn't say if she had made the team or not? I would do anything in my power, clean houses, dogsit, babysit, whatever to make this happen for her,,,the initial investment would be big, but if she cheers for all four years it should not be this expensive year after year! I hope she makes it and it works out for you!! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was a cheerleader in highschool and in middle school. I don't know how the program where you are works but where I went to school the cost was around the same. I will tell you though, we were always able to buy uniforms from the senior cheerleaders who were leaving and we always did fundraisers. you would definately have to be as commited as she is.my mom did not make a lot of money when i was a cheerleader and i know that she worked with the coaches to do a payment plan, and other moms would help. With all the support of our booster club coming up with all kinds of fundraisers we payed for everything, uniforms and camp doing car washes,bake sales,etc. Thanks to them we were able to go to nationals, where I then won a scholarship! True enough my mom couldn't afford to miss work and come, but the other moms made sure she didn't miss it. they recorded it! and she was able to make all the in town competitions. Hope this helps!
    mommyjoi

Answer by mommyjoi at 10:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I loved cheering, and wouldn't mind a bit for my kids to do it -- however, that kind of cost would be prohibitive for us. That's way too much for a uniform, even if it's custom and tailored, IMO. Unless they have at least four different unis that they wear - which is still too expensive, and excessive LOL, but at least it would explain that figure. Except for the cost of trying to afford it, I would absolutely support it 100%!

We found a cheer gym locally (and some gymnastics places also have cheer teams) and that *might* possibly be a more affordable option for you. It's worth looking in to. They offer the chance to participate in tumbling, stunting, etc and to compete -- they don't cheer for any sports however, so if your Dd is mostly interested in the social aspect of being a high school cheerleader, and leading pep rallies, etc, rather than the sport of it, then it wouldn't necessarily be a good fit.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was never a cheerleader. But when I tried out (many times) they gave you a packet and it said the money requirements. It gave options on how to raise the money, through fundraising and stuff. I hope you find a way to pay for it and I hope your daughter makes the team. I tried out for cheerleading 4 times in middle school (twice for each of the 7th grade squads and twice for the 8th grade squads) and never made it. I worked my butt off but one of the girls' moms was the coach and so she let in her daughter and all of her daughters friends. I practiced a lot and finally gave up and joined dance instead. That was a lot more fun. But I was at a studio. If your daughter doesn't make the team, maybe she could try a dance studio or cheer gym. She'll get to do the sport, but no tryouts and a lot more fun.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Both my girls where in cheerleading 4th through the 12th. I don't remember it being that high. WOW.. Good luck mama
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2010