What is the best way for a hairstylist who is a SAHM to network?

We are a one car family and with the way gas/economy is my husband drives to work and picks up my daughter from preschool unless I absolutely need the car. All of our children are involved in extracurricular activities 3 days a week, which I go to, but I am not having much success. I make sure to keep my hair and makeup done wherever I go. Any suggestions?

mommyjoi

Asked by mommyjoi at 10:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Facebook!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Hi hairstylist here,,,how many kiddos at home? Do you want to open a salon in your house or just do it "on the side"? I would be careful about state board issues and such I am in the business and would like a bit more info,, thanks!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Social networking, Merchantcircle.com is a decent site and you can get some exposure there. Fliers...there are a ton of different ways to get your name out there, you've just got to be creative.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 11:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would definatly craigs list your buisness :) your name number and your e-mail GL :)
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 11:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'd say take advantage of all the free advertising you can. Free business directories, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. There are business groups on CafeMom you can join. If you can afford it, get yourself a website and business cards.

I'm a small business owner, if you have questions on how to use some of the stuff I mentioned, works send me a msg and we can discuss.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Do you primarily do hair cuts and such in your home or do you go to their house? Either way, make sure you keep good records of all work you do, have a DBA and Tax ID if required in your state....and well are you in fact certified in your state to do hair? If you aren't you can't legally collect money for services you do.
    But some ways to network and get business is to order free business cards and/or post cards from vista print and leave them everywhere. You can go to local Senior citizen centers and offer to do free hair cuts or styles and then give those ladies and gentlemen your card. You can look into your local Chamber of Commerce and networking events they hold, or other events listed on other sites in your area. A lawn sign on your lawn and car magnets or car window decals can work, even if it's DH driving. Offer discounts on first visits and have that discount on your biz card.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• If you are not licensed, and do not have a business license, advertising can lead to thousands of dollars of fines...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010