Your kids with ADHD....what are their grades in school?

I am asking because I would like to compare my daughter's grades with other kids who have ADHD. I know that it is hard for her to study as long as any other kid after school but she really tries and I am proud of her. She mostly has all B's and sometimes she will bring home an A or C. Before we knew about the ADHD, she would bring home D's and sometimes F's. She is in the 3rd grade.

Alizzie_Mom

Asked by Alizzie_Mom at 10:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That sounds really good mom, don't worry about other kids grades. Sounds like she is right where she needs to be :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• What did you differently for her to improve her grades. My ds was doing badly in his grades so we had him checked out and of course he has ADHD so we started off with a low dose of Focalin XR and went with it he did good at first but as time went on we had to up the dose and now he is bring home C's we just tell him to do his very best and we'll be happy with that no more very low grades from him we told him. Sometimes we'll give him incentives to try harder sometimes he comes through and there are times he barely makes it. I think alot of kids have this ADD or ADHD in there own way but never get tested for it and they just do there best even if it means for them to stay back a year. My opinion...GL Good Job mom on your dd. keep up the good work.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Mine aren't officially diagnosed, they're not on any meds but I watch what I feed them to help reduce symptoms. As & Bs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I am not sure if you can really compare kids. I mean,I think that they are all so wonderfuly unique. I have two w/ADHD. I have an almost 10 dd and an almost 6 ds. We had dd in public school but switched her to a Catholic school because the public school wanted to war with me over everything she needed. I also had her held back into the second grade last year due to maturity issues (she was a preemie). I had her taking Vyvance and she did good and was on the A~B honor roll. I was happy because I knew that was her ability. Some kids have LD in conjunction w/ADHD. My dd has tested not to have LD. She does however have HH(hard head)LOL! Seriously,I am not making fun of LD as I,myself have it.
    I agree w/above poster,You are doing a really good job:) All we can hope for is that they reach their potential in life. :)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thank you butterfly 1108, I don't know about other kids with ADD or ADHD, but my daughter takes A LOT of our time. We have changed so many things to help her. She takes Focalin XR (the lowest dose) but I only give it to her on school days to help her focus in class. That's probably why we haven't had to up her dose because she doesn't use it every single day. It's really tempting to use it when she's at home acting super hyper and I want a break....lol Hubby and I encourage her 24/7. We are constantly telling her that she's doing well, even if she's just pushing the buggie for me at the store. Also we set a homework/study time for her of 5:30 everyday. She makes it home around 4:00. That way she knows that when 5:30 comes she can stop and go play. That's great because it doesn't take up all of our evening trying to help her study.

Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 11:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It's also hard to find a babysitter for her because most people don't understand why she's that way and they get upset or yell at her. We only have a few of people that we can trust with her.
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thank you so much midnightmoma, it's not that we're worried about other kid's grades. It's hard raising a kid with ADHD and if another mom has a kid making all A's & B's then I would love to hear what she is doing to help her child in school.
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 11:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Yep, yep.. I know first hand, my youngest is ADHD. There are several great support groups on here for moms like us and they are great. The moms also know first hand the struggles we go through. I know you want the best for her, that's why I wrote what I did. Others grades don't matter.. What matters is SHE is doing HER best. With or without ADHD she may never be all A's and B's, or never would have been, KWIM.. My son has a very hard time with reading and writing but excels in everything else. He is also shy so he does not like to read aloud in class but reads much better home. Point is you are doing everything you can.. Keep it up and face each new challenge head on if/when they arise. Praise works wonders. Learned that a long time ago. Even on the little things.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son is 7 and he is on medication and he get B & C's..
    andersonboys3

Answer by andersonboys3 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As a teacher I can say that kids with ADHD have grades ranging from As to Fs. There are tons of factors other than ADHD that contribute to grades. It's sounds like her grades have improved quite a bit. Good Job!

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010