anyone else dealin w/gestational diabetes???

i jus found out ive got gestational diabetes & while i know its not the end of the world, its still something to adjust too. anyone else out there going thru it/has gone thru it & want to offer some advice?

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• I took my 3 hour glucose test yesterday and I don't have the results yet. I'm hoping that I passed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I've had it with 3 of my previous 4 pregnancies and probably will with this one as well, so I'm already following the diet. Mine has always been diet controlled, and the definite plus to the diet is that it prevents you from gaining too much weight, so there's not a whole lot to lose after baby is born! And I felt like I was eating all the time - I certainly didn't feel deprived. It's sometimes hard when everyone else is enjoying dessert, or I'm really craving a soft drink, but it's only for a few short months and I had to remind myself of that. Also - exercise really helps regulate blood sugars. If you ever think you ate too many carbs at one meal - go for a nice long walk and that will help bring your sugar level down quicker. My nutritionist even told me that I could have a piece of "real" cake on my bday if I went for a walk after! If you have any questions, you can message me. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I had it with my 2nd and 3rd baby. It wasn't hard to adjust to the foods they wanted me to eat and it didn't hurt me to gain only 15 lbs instead of the 40 I gained the 1st pregnancy.
    I did have my babies 4 and 5 weeks early and they were both in the NICU for 7 and 10 days. they don't know if the GD caused them to be born early but they do say the problems they had were due to their lungs not maturing fast enough. They were both over 6 lbs but were on oxygen.
    You need to follow their recommendations and talk to the nutritionist or the nurse in the office to make sure you are doing it.
    Good luck!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I had it with my 2nd baby. Just follow the diet, it's not so bad, and it will make you feel wonderful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• thanks for all the advice! i know its not the end of the world to have gd, jus something i was REALLY hoping to avoid! my dr wants to see me in 2 weeks so he can check levels & diet & make sure my sugar is being regulated properly without meds....im still praying it all works out & my daughter comes out healthy & happy!! the hardest part for me is keeping my levels in check thru-out the day!! yesterday i ate too light a lunch & too heavy a dinner so things were outta wack but im slowly learning the ropes!! thanks again!!
    mommyw2010

Answer by mommyw2010 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010