Potty Training - Tips Please...

OK this weekend I have decided that we are going to start potty training my son, he is a couple weeks shy of 22 months and is showing the signs that everyone has told me to look for:

-Dry diapers after naps and bedtime
-When he is dirty he is pulling at the diaper
-Stops and notices when he has peed in the diaper

I am not going the pull up route, so we are doing plastic pants and training underwear. So my question is: Does any body have any advise they want to share with a first time mommy of a little boy. We have all girls in the family and have never had any boys to potty train.

Do we start sitting down forward or backward??? Or standing up?? Treats??

I dont want to drag it out because I am the incompetent one, LOL.

Thank you for any help or advise you can share!!!

brannen

Asked by brannen at 11:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well good luck! IMO this is pretty early for a boy, but DS loved to hit cheerios in the toilet,, I got a step stool and we made a game out of it!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The cheerios in the toilet is a good one. We also used stickers as a reward for successful trips to the potty. I made a poster to keep in the bathroom, my kids were so excited when they got a sticker, and I think it helped for them to see their poster fill up with stickers too.
    margo.b

Answer by margo.b at 11:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• What helps us when potty training is ignoring everyone else. All we hear is "oh, they're too young." And yet? They are completely done by 2. I was worried with my first, now I just say "I know" and move on. Mentally wash it out of your mind.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I strongly encourage you to take a look at this journal post, describing a so-called "3-day method." It sounds gimicky but it is actually a method that a lot of parents have used intuitively for a long time. Skip the pull-ups, skip the timers for sitting on the potty every half hour... you switch to undies and a shirt, stay home a few days, and move him to the potty whenever he starts to have an accident. I've had success with this method with both my girls (well under two years old), and the woman who posted this journal had a son your son's age. Don't let anyone tell you it's too soon... GL
    Here's the postL http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010