Feeling bad about letting baby cry when she wakes up earlier than normal...

First off, my daughter has pretty much slept through the night since she was 1 month old, meaning she goes to bed around 7:30 or 8 and usually sleeps till around 6 am. Alot of times I have to wake her up in the morning. I work and have to feed her and take her to daycare. So now my question is, should I feel bad about letting her cry herself back to sleep when she ocasionally wakes up too early? For example she woke up around 4:30 this morning and I let her just cry. She eventually fell back asleep and woke up again at 6:30. She doesn't do this very often, but since she normally has such great sleeping patterns, I don't want to get in the habit of comforting her when she wakes up so early. I'm afraid then she will do it all the time. What do you think?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If waking up early is out of character for her, then there is probably a problem. I think it is better to check on her and make she is comforted. I would not let her CIO.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't do CIO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think that if you're uncomfortable letting her cry, don't. She is only 5 months old. The only habit you'll be having is that you child knows she can count on you.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As long as she isn't crying for a long time I think it's fine. My son occasionally does this because we have a ton of dogs around where we live, and sometimes they bark so much he wakes up. He only cries for a few minutes, then falls back asleep. If he cries longer than that I go ahead and feed him, then put him back and he usually falls right back to sleep.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As long as she is not crying too long I think it is fine. Another thing to think about is if she is waking up early maybe try to put her to bed a little ealier just like 30 minutes earlier. Maybe she is going through a growth spurt or something and needs a little extra sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I never do that. If my baby wakes up, then its for a reason. She may need a diaper change or something to eat. There are times where she's been too hot, or too cold. If she's still tired, she will go back to sleep after her needs are met. I don't encourage play at that hour, though.

For me it is important. I mean, how would I feel if my grandmother was in a nursing home and the caregiver decided 4:30 was too early in the morning and wouldn't answer my grandmother's calls until 6:30. I'd be livid!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• "For me it is important. I mean, how would I feel if my grandmother was in a nursing home and the caregiver decided 4:30 was too early in the morning and wouldn't answer my grandmother's calls until 6:30. I'd be livid!"

Not only that, the caregiver could be cited for elder abuse.

Moviemom, your profile says baby is five months. CIO advocates say NOT to do it till 6-9 months, depending on which one you read....so it's still too early.

Personally, I think it's better to go check on them.. Babies do cry for things like dirty dipes, and you don't want to leave one on too long and havea rash develop.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• if she isn't crying more than 30 min. i think its fine. Thats how i got my first son to learn to get himself back to sleep. And he turned out fine!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thanks for all the answers. I guess I'm a little surprised there weren't more people agreeing with letting her cry, but I guess everyone's different. I feel like if she does it again, I will go check on her. Like Katt709 said, if is is out of character for her then there might be a problem. I know it is more than likely because she is hungry, but if she was able to put herself back to sleep then was it really something she needed comforting for. Also, sorry but comment about grandmother in nursing home to me isn't really comparable when you are talking about a mature adult as opposed to a baby. Don't babies sometimes cry, or is it always because they need something? When a 2 year old cries, do you run to him every time to see what is the matter?
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010