Tattoos and Piercings during pregnancy.

Are they okay? I recently got another tattoo like about 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing fine so I would have to say they don't harm you ór your baby (mind u, I didn't know I was pregnant) I have 16 piercings (haven't gotten anymore yet) Do I have to take them out? They say my tongue bar has to come out (I don't see why not) my lip rings as well (I see why not) both my belly button rings (makes sense, but I'm going to buy the stretchy retainer kind) I'm not going to let any of my piercings close. My wrist piercing I've been told has to come out-its not happening. I see no reason for me to take it out...The only piercings coming out are my belly button and I'm not removing those I'm just switching the bars. Am I wrong? ((Please don't bash me or leave rude remarks..if I'm wrong simply tell me I am and explain why they need to come out) if I find out they can harm my baby (not me) then they will be out today. Thanks.

ofcourseithurts

Asked by ofcourseithurts at 11:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I got a tattoo when I was pregnant (not knowing) and everything turned out just fine. (I have 3 tattoos now =P) They just tell you not to get them due to the risk of getting hepititis. But if it was a clean place and you know they used new needles then I wouldn't worry. I also had my tongue pierced and I decided to take that out on my own, as for my other piercing my nose I didn't ever have to take out. Congrats on the baby!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• And if you don't have any tattoos or piercings don't comment..and if you only have one tattoo or just ear piercings..don't comment. Thanks!
    ofcourseithurts

Answer by ofcourseithurts at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As for tattoos it is because of infection you can get. It is hard to find med you can safely take when pregnant. I don't know about the earrings. I hope someone can help you there. Or you can google it and find out what it says about earrings.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Ask your OB
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was told I shouldn't get tatts while pregnant because your body is already under so much stress and diverting nutrients and such to the baby, makes it harder for your body to heal the tattoo "wound" and it may not heal right (things like infection, or your skin rejecting the ink) Same thing with getting pierced while pregnant.

I was never told to take out any piercings (the belly button is understandable for obvious reasons) - the only logic I can see in that is taking them out before you go in for delivery - if for some reason you should have to be rushed to x-ray or run thru a cat scan or something, the metal has to come out and there may not be time to waste in removing them prior to an emergency.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Oh yea for delievery EVERYTHING should come out just incase something goes wrong. That's standard procedure
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The only piercing that really makes sense for you to take out is the belly ring. I don't see why every thing else has to go-except maybe a clitoral piercing.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I only had my ears pierced when I was pregnant with my two. I didn't add any piercings or tattoos until after they were both born. And now I have my lip done and 2 tattoos on my back. Since you didn't know you were prgnant when you got the last one done I don't see it as a prob. Just might want to wait until after the birth of your child to add more. With the piercings I don't understand why they would want you to take those out either unless its a safety issue. I can understand the belly ring possibly coming out even if you're going to change the ring you might want to watch that one but as for the others I don't see why they would want those out.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 11:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• They don't want you to have any metal in case something would go wrong and you would need an MRI or Xray of some sort! I would just follow their advice,,,,it isn't about harm to your baby,,,it is about possible harm to you! I would be taking the nipple rings out though!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I believe that they ask you to remove e mouth/tongue piercings and possibly face piercings in case there are unforeseen circumstances and they will have to knock you out or intabate you. The wrist maybe because of an I.V.
    And as Stellar said - CAT scans, MRI's require that you not have any metal (it would be horribly painful as this machine works with magnets)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010