i could really use some advice....

I am on day 3 of the 3 day potty training program with my son and i'm at my wits end!!!! the first day was awful, i washed 25 pairs of wet undies, he peed on the potty 15 times, but all really small ones. The second day I only washed 12 pairs of undies, and he peed 5 times on the potty, 4 of which were almost full pees. Day 3 and I have 4 wet undies so far (its nap time thank god!) and only one pee in the potty. He is definetly holding his pee now, he held it for 2 hours. The problem is he won't tell me he has to pee yet and he starts to run to the potty then stops and runs the other way. He gets mad if I try to take him to the potty. I know he has to go, so why is he fighting the potty? I keep thinking its getting better, but I'm just really stressing. Tomorrow we have to go back to doing things outside of the house and I am not ready to go out with only underwear. Can I use pull ups now and try that method?I just want to cry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you should back off. Obviously you both are frustrated. Maybe go back to whatever you were doing before for a month. Or try the pull-ups. My son treated them like diapers, and diapers are cheaper, so, no good. LOL It is unhealthy for him to hold his urine. So, I would wait and then try it all over at another time or continue if you want to keep washing. It might work out eventually. HTH
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• This is a tough battle and I feel for you. I urge you though, NOT to use pull-ups. I know it's easier, but I think it sends a wrong message to kids and delays the potty training process in the long run. How confusing to tell a kid, you are suppose to pee on the potty, but here are some underwear, that are kind of like a diaper and you shouldn't really go in them, but if you do it's ok. That's confusing to me! I went through the same thing with my daughter and went through so many pairs of underwear my head was spinning. But after a week she was fine and we never looked back. I also had a reward system that helped her so maybe he needs that encouragement as well. I myself made an "aquarium" out of huge construction paper and bought a bunch of fish stickers. When she went on the potty she could put a "fish" in the aquarium. I have friends who kept a bowl of M&M's in the bathroom and rewarded their child that way also. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• he might now be ready yet, sometimes boys arn't ready until the age of 3
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It sounds to me like he's just not ready. IMO, Pull ups are only good for nap and nighttime. Potty training is always a very hard and frustrating time for both. Good Luck.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010