Eczema, ruining my daughters skin

My 20 month old has eczema, its on her leg and even worse on her arms... Everytime i think i have it under control, it gets worse, ive tried everything. the oatmeal baths, the soothing treatmens and ointments, anti itching creams, everything. what can i do?

Zarviemom19

Asked by Zarviemom19 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried Euceryn? My doctor swears by it and she specializes in skin care

Answer by admckenzie at 11:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have seen someone use the prescription cream with Curel lotion and it worked great.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Talk to her pediatrician about it. If they think it's necessary they will give you a prescription for a cream, but use it sparingly!
    Otherwise, make sure her baths are as short as possible and slather her with lotion right after she gets out.
    It may lessen as she grows - it did with my daughter. She still gets random breakouts, but not as bad as when she was a baby.

GL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Have you tried Apricot oil? I know how frustrating this is! I would talk to her doctor and see if there is something you can get a perscription for,, good luck! I suffer from it as well and apricot oil has helped!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Also, try olive oil - I just recently read an article on how olive oil helps eczema. I'm sure you can google it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Olive Oil is GREAT for skin another soap that's good is from Chargin Valley All Natural Soaps. http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm
    The Castille and Calendula is a great one for little ones.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You may have to go to a dermatolgist for her skin. You might have to also switch your products that you use on her skin. Laundry detergent. A lot of people dont realize that there is crap in everything you use from soap to lotions, shampoos etc.. Its not healthy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I used Vaseline on my DD twice a day when she had eczema. Experiment with different bathing rituals- daily, every few days, etc. We would put baby oil in the water but at this age that might make things way too slippery so maybe just oil after bath. Avoid everything with scents, dyes, perfumes, etc as all of that can make matters worse. Eczema is often triggered by food allergies- try cutting out dairy as I think this is a commom cause, or maybe wheat. My DD had an allergy test where she had a simple blood draw that came back and told us about several food allergies, this might be something to look into. The blood draw wasn't exactly fun, but relatively quick and easy and the information was really worth it. Now that her diet is controlled her eczema has only flared up once or twice. At its worst we did use steriod creams from the doctor and Benadryl to relieve her discomfort. I hope you find something to help soon! GL.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• have you tried cutting dairy and gluten? it could be a dietary reaction, or a reaction to something her skin comes in contact with. have you tried an allergist? creams and lotions may seem great if they work, but really...you rskin breaking out as a reaction to something is your body's way of saying "i can not tolerate this" so masking the symptoms with lotions is, imo, not the best solution.
    just curious, did the oatmeal bath make things worse?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son has had eczema for 15 years. The only thing that has really helped him is a prescription of 2.5 % hydro cortisone and Eucerin compound. He puts that on first then puts on Avon Oatmeal lotion.

Whatever lotion you choose for your daughter make sure it's perfume/dye free, perfumes can burn and irritate the rash. It's an on going battle that she may or may not out grown. Just be persistent and Good Luck.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2010