Nuks, Bottles How can i get rid of them?

20 months. I cant get rid of them. tried going cold turkey. tried weining. tried gradual slack. nothing. she's a picky eater, doesnt have all her teeth and is stubborn. i dont want her teeth to be messed up. and i dont want to starve her. i live with my parents and have a chronic illness, so when im in the hospital, they give her the bottle when i've worked to get her to let them go...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• your going to have to work with your parents and help them understand why its important to get her off of the bottle. It sounds to me that it is your parents doing that is making it hard and confusing for her to get off of it. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• If you're really committed to getting rid of the bottles then throw them away- then no one can give her one when you aren't there. Have your daughter help you, explain that she is too big for bottles and she will have her sippy cups now and have her help you throw the bottles out. Then later when she wants a bottle remind her that they are all gone and offer her a cup. Does she use a paci or blakie or some other object that offers some comfort? Having that might help her make the transition. Maybe have her pick out a special sippy cup that she likes and can be excited about. I think this is just one of those things you have to be committed to and get it over with. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i'm going through the same thing, i took the bottle away cold turke a week ago and she's still trying to persuade me to give it to her, but since i've taken it away she's been eating alot better. Remember that a child will not starve itself, so don't worry about that. My daughter is very stubborn too, but she has no option but to accept the sippy, with the pacifier i had no problem since she never took it, but she used the bottle to sleep and that stopped too (that's what we're having issues with.) But do tell your parents about the tooth decay and show them pictures, that's what got me to take the decision to take the bottle away entirely. tip: dip the spout of the sippy in the liquid that you're giving her and put it back on the cup, that way she knows what's in the cup, also try different brands. my kid won't take juice in a soft spout sippy but she'll take milk, and she won't take milk in a hard spout, but take juice. GL
    blank1104

Answer by blank1104 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I just realized maybe you are asking about getting rid of pacis and bottles? If so then I say worry about the bottle first and then work on the pacifier next. Pacis today aren't so bad for the teeth, unless your pediatrician or dentist has voiced a serious concern I would give the paci more time, like maybe until sometime after the 2nd birthday, and in the meantime work on finding replacement attachment objects like a blanket or stuffed animal if she doesn't have one. Keep it in her crib so she gets used to it and attaches to it and then when you do take the paci away she will still have a comfort object to help self-soothe.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son was the same way. He refused to drink from anything but is bottle. I would give him a cup through out the day it would just sit there. Finally I just threw the bottles away. He cried for them for a few days and got over it. He drinks great from the sippy cups now. He loves cars and trucks so I made sure all the cups had them on them. Get her a cup with something she really likes. It will be hard for a little while but she will get used to it. Good Luck.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Part of going cold turkey is dealing with the crying and fit throwing that comes with it. With my oldest all his bottles were thrown away within a week of his first birthday. With my 2 year old he stopped taking a bottle within 5 days of me having him(he was breastfed). My youngest is 10 months and I plan to just toss his bottles too. I haven't really had to deal with pacifers. They are great to have but my kids never liked them.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Throw away the bottles....throw away any ones your parents have as well...if they aren't there, they can't be used. you gotta go cold turkey. a child wont starve themselves. if they are stubborn...it wont last long, eventually they get hungry and they will eat...you arent' hurting her don't worry. you gotta do it cold turkey its the only way GL
    Anonymous

• Throw all the bottles away. Let your kid throw a tantrum. The cycle repeats itself when she knows you'll give in.
    Anonymous