Why do parents let their toddlers walk on the sidewalk independently?

There are parents that always hold their toddlers hand and some parents that don't. I would think that it could be dangerous allowing a toddler to walk without holding the parent's hand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, op, I think you're mostly right. I see parents stopping and talking with neighbors on busy sidewalks and their kids are at the edge of the curb. More than once as I've approached a stop sign driving, a parent and kids out for walks are nearby. And, a kid is running almost at the intersection. It's worrisome!!! I'm right with you op!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Dangerous how? Skinned knees? It's part of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

What if the child runs away or some stranger accidentally push him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It lets them have a little independents. It is good for them.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i never did that
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• For running you can caught them before they get to far. This is where your parenting comes in handy. You talk to them about how we do not run away. If we do then we have to hold hands. It is a great way for them to learn to listen. As for a starnger. If they are going to push them when you are not holding there hand. They will do it when you are holding there hand. I sure hope a stanger would not do that anyway. I have never had that happen.

Anonymous

• I think it depends on where the sidewalk is located? PP is right it gives them a feeling of independence,,but not on busy streets etc!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't let my kids walk on the sidewalk without me holding their hands because they have proven time and time again that if I let them have that little bit of "independence," they will go straight for the road. And I'd rather not take that chance! When they learn to listen to me when I say "STAY AWAY FROM THE ROAD," then they can walk without me holding on to them. LoL. By the way, they are only 2 and 4.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm with the op but my son puts resistance when trying to hold his hand. Any mom have any suggestion on how to make my son complaint.
    Anonymous

• why would i NOT let them be on the sidewalk without holding my hand. that is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe i could understand in the street, because my son has to hold my hand if we are in the street, but on hte sidewalk!? A little over protective much?
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010