How do they determine how much child support you get?

I have noticed alot of child support questions today, and I was curious how the determine how much you get? If you make more than your husband or SO do you still get it? Is there a limit to how much of your income they can take? I saw a lady who asked a question concerning 5 kids---I would think he probably has to give all of his income? I was wondering how they base it! Thanks!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 12:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• It varies from state to state and the income the non-custodial parent makes. In NY state it's 17% pre child (and that may change as the number of children gets larger) BUT, if the non-custodial parent doesn't make a lot and falls under the "Poverty" level in that state the percentages don't apply.

For example, my ex husband and I have a son together, I have sole custody, my ex goes to college and lives off student loans and a very part-time job....the student loans doesn't count as income and he only makes about $7,000 at his job. SO, he is only ordered to pay $25 a MONTH!!!!

Until he graduates and works for at least a year earning more than $10,000 that will not increase
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It depends on your State. In Illinois it is as follows:

* one child: 20% of net income
    * two children: 28% of net income
    * three children: 32% of net income
    * four children: 40% of net income
    * five children: 45% of net income
    * six or more children: 50% of net income

It doesn't matter which parent makes more. Whatever parent is the non-custodial (not living with the child) is the one who is required to pay the support.
    Anonymous

• its based on how much he makes, i knew some one that only got 200 for 2 kids a month,and i knew another one that gor 775 per kid per month.one had a crappy job and another had a good job.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• they base it on how much the paying parent makes.

but they will also deduct from that for insurance if the paying parent provides medical insurance (such as through their employer)

They also make deductions if the paying parent has other dependents living with them.

Anonymous

• They don't care what the custodial parent makes, it's the one without the kids. Here in Michigan they aren't allowed to take more then 40% (i think ) of income (not take-home) But ultimately it is up to a judge. The last time I went he told me my support should e $68 a week, but he only granted me $38 because he felt liek it. He was a major jerk though.
    Anonymous

• In most states, they combine the income of each parent (minus estimated tax, union dues, a deduction for the care of other children, etc) and get a total number. There's a chart they look up that determines the amount of money spent on a raising a child in a family with that income. That amount is divided by the percentage each parent (custodial and non custodial) earns of the total amount.

Child support, in most states, cannot exceed 60% of the non custodial parent's income (single) and 50% married or responsible for the support of other children.
    Anonymous

• yes each state is different. I get 275.00 a week for 1 child.
    andersonboys3

Answer by andersonboys3 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010