Do you think the schools in America are doing a good job?

The schools in America are terrible! At least that what an article written by Colin and Alma Powell in the USA Weekend (Feb. 28. 2010) seems to be telling us. It says nearly 1 in 3 students in the United States fails to get a high school diploma. How can the U.S. be one of the wealthiest countries and have such a poor education system? How do you rate the schools in your area? Link to article: http://www.usaweekend.com

Michellesays

Asked by Michellesays at 12:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in

• My husband and mom are both teachers (one in high school; one in elementary)...and I can tell you that there are good teachers out there. The system is a broken system. The beaurocrats tie the teacher's hands on what they can teach and how they teach it. And there are many parents who don't truly care about their children, as long as the kids are out of their hair! Most parents lose interest by the time their children reach the 5th grade, if not before. The blame lies in several sectors, not just one. I wish I could say there is a "fix-all", but there is not. Most schools do the best they can, but there is just too much broken to try to fix. It probably needs to be thrown out and started over on a decent foundation...which we have also lost.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 1:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• not at all! if we were doing a good job we wouldn't have to import so many jobs in the math and sciences!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think our local schools here are great however there have been some that my kids attended that were horrible. I think a lot comes down to parent involvement in the schools. The schools that were the worse there were no PTA's, PTO's, volunteers, etc but the ones we're with now have tons of parental support in all areas and I think it shows. It's not one of the richest districts but there are lots of parents that help out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't think they are doing good. My son got passed by his teacher last year with grades that had to be fake. She let the class just run around and scream all day and got maybe 1 worksheet done a day. How can a kid be ready to go to the next grade with that? His teacher this year has been great and he is almost caught up to where he should be. My stepsister couldn't read in the 7th grade because they kept passing her along. At 24 she can still barely read. They aren't allowed to hold a kid back more than twice in elementary school. If a kid isn't doing good they should be held back until they can do it even if it takes more than being held back twice.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Having taught for a little while in our current education system, I can tell you three of the major reasons for why our schools are failing, 1. too many students one class, which means less one on one teacher time 2. little to no resources 3. poor parental support at home.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i love my dd's school. Ever since we moved to this town her math scores just shot up. She's doing so well and I thank the teachers. They really take the time with the kids in the classroom and before and after school. The city where we used to live, was awful, thats one of the reasons why we moved.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i think it has a lot to do with what society values and what society rewards. (think about WHO makes the most money) if you look to other countries. most go to school more than 5 days a week. summer is the same, no break from school, it is year-round... some schools are really messed up. others do a great job so i cannot say schools as a whole are good or bad, it is more of a case by case thing. i know most schools are working to become more successful but they cannot do it alone. american society needs to start to value learning and knowledge and skills more than we already do.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't think anyone can answer a generic question like this accurately. The truth is *SOME* schools are failing. Not all.

I happen to think the school district we live in does a great job at preparing children for their adult lives. As a product of that school system myself, I can attest to having gotten a great education in the public school system. Things have only improved between then and when my children began 3 years ago in the same district.

Not every school in this country can say the same. Yet, there are plenty of others than can.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• no.
    they have some great teachers but tie their hands with BS "teach to the test" policies
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As a whole. No they are not doing a good job. Are there schools that do perform well, yes there are. But the overall education system, and the education that is being delivered in this country is sub-par. Especially when you compare an American High School Graduate, with a European or even an Asian High School Graduates. And those children will be the adults that Americans have to compete with for jobs in the future. The American education system really needs a revamping. We are ranked far below most other Industrialized nations in regards to education. As long as that continues, American will also lag in regards to economic stability and economic progress in the future. Also, there seems to have become mentality in this nation over the past 1-2 decades that being intelligent/intellectual is "bad", being smart is frawned upon in many ways in our society. As long as that continues, people will choose to be ignorant.
    Anonymous