Going from working 9 hours a day at my job to a sahm to my stepson and our two small adopted little boys.

I work 9 hours a day 5 days a week and have since I was 18. I'm 27 now. Anyways, we had planned to adopt so that I could work only part time since the children we are adopting are school aged kids. My stepson and his mother are having problems so he's moving in with us two weeks after we are adopting. So I'm going to be a sahm mom and home school the three little boys. I've worked my entire life and I'm nervous about going crazy at home. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because we had planned to only adopt one, found out he had a brother, so we're getting him too and then my stepson is moving in. I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong. Always wanted a big house full of kids but I'm a little scared. My last day of work is in May and we're adopting and they will move in with us on May 14 and my SS is moving in May 28. How do I keep from going insane? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Make sure that when your hubby gets home, you leave for some time to yourself!!!!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• deep breaths
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You might want to find a homeschooling group, or other moms to schedule play-dates with just so you can interact with some other grown ups on a regular basis.

When you're just with babies and kids all day, you start to miss adult conversation.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• wow. that's quite a change all at once.. kudo's for you being so open to it all at once.. ~~ good luck -I don't have advice but GL!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It will take some time to get used to being a SAHM. I too was in the same boat having worked most of my life till I had my last baby 20 months ago and became a SAHM. You need to keep a schedule of what you plan on doing during the day. Such as cleaning one day, groceries one day, etc. And since you plan on home schooling, your schedule is going to be really important to stay on task! Good luck to you and congratulations on your adoption!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• All you can do is literally take it one day at a time. You will have days where you feel like you just cannot do this, and you will have days where you feel like you can conquer the world. Always remember that it is a phase, a stage in your life that will end, and your life will change and be yours again someday. Take time for yourself whenever possible, to nurture yourself and be social (very important).
    I admire you for adopting, esp older kids, esp brothers. That is really cool Homeschool is very rewarding, and worth it, but challenging as well. Get help when you need it, and if you feel yourself getting angry, stop whatever you are doing and take a break. Never move forward with schooling in anger.
    You can do this, keep us updated!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think you find that you will be able to keep busy. I would look into programs at your library. Here they have storytimes and crafting activities and such for different ages. I would also make sure to plan fun days like taking the kids to the pool or the park or things like that in the summer. Also, as someone else said, definately remember to take time for you. If you can, make plans once a week at least with friends of yours. also, maybe join a gym. A lot of gyms have centers/areas for kids to play and all that while you work out. that way you could do it while DH is still at work and it would be you time. Or wait to do the gym till after he gets home. There will be a lot of changes, but you can do it. I would get info from homeschooling groups in your area as well. I have never done it, but I can imagine it would be hard.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010