Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel that something is a little "off" with my son. Suggestions?

My husband and I both feel like our son has maybe a bit of a disability. But, he is super smart and does very well in school, so it's not a huge problem. At home though, he is a bit hard to deal with, has a hard time remembering rules that have been in place his whole life, and he gets obsesssed with certain things and it seems like all he can think about. I wouldn't want him to know we were trying to see if anything was wrong(at dr.s or whatev), and I wouldn't medicate him. What do you think, should we check it out?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • Why wouldn't you want to try to make his life easier for him too by finding out what could be wrong, if its nothing, its nothing then you can figure out ways to help him learn and stick to rules another way that you are teaching him now...>?

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • I would. You didn't mention how old he is, but there are some disabilities (asperger's comes to mind) that generally isn't diagnosed until elementary/middle school. Many kids with asperger's are extremely intelligent, but have some of the symptoms you mentioned. Maybe take him to psychologist and have an evaluation?

    Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • Is there any problems with his social skills or his fine motor skill such as writing. Is whatever this is interfering with his schooling?


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • Yes. I have known one too many adults who clearly have learning disabilities that were never dealt with. Now they are out in the world inept. You wouldn't let a handicapped kid go without some kind of assistance, would you? Well that's what it's like. You would be doing him a disservice not to look into it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • How old is your son? I'm asking becasue my son who is 10, acts the same way! He's really smart, kind and does very well in shcool, staright A's. But at home he gives attitude at times and becomes obsessed with stuff. He reads a lot, then all day he doesn't really talk about everyday life, he will talk your ear off about sports, statistics and other stuff he reads about. We have to tell him everynight at dinner, we are not going to talk about sports! I don't see it as a disability though. Sometimes they just need a reminder to be brought back to reality! Good luck.

    Answer by mamaada at 12:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • The sooner you fine that there is or isn't something wrong with him the better for all of you.

    Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • OP here- he is 7. So how would I go about finding out what, if anything, is wrong? Regular family doc or pediatrician? I don't ever want my son to think there is anything wrong with him, esp if there isn't and he does very very good in school, so?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • is he not remembering the rules or just choosing to push them. My SD went through a couple periods and still does sometimes where she seems to "forget" the rules. She doesn't have any obsessive behaviors/interests, but it could just be a phase. However, i always believe that you should trust your gut. i would start with whatever doctor he has. My DD goes to the same doctor i have who also delivered her - so he doesnt specialize in pediatrics - he is a family doctor. I would start there. You can always say its just a check up. If he hasn't had a physical lately, you could have them do a physical and all that. I always feel its best to be safe and I feel as a parent, you have to trust yourself.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • You need to see a pediatric psychiatrist for evaluation. A pediatrician is not equipped to evaluate for mental disabilities. I would try to find one that specializes in autism. Contact your state's autism society for a referal

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • My 10 year old has aspergers and I don't consider him "having something wrong" - it's just who he is and how he functions. He is classified AG, super smart, and can remember anything you tell him (which is good and bad!). You can talk to your pediatrician and find out who he recommends, but he wouldn't be the one to do an evaluation. You would need a developmental specialist, most often a psychologist who specializes in disabilities. You can also talk to the school and have them do an evaluation. Public schools will do it for free and that way you wouldn't have to explain any drs or anything just tell him that the school is going to do some special testing to see how just how smart he is!

    Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.