my 5 week old daugter likes to sleep on her tummy not her back how do i get her to switch or should i just let her be??

hannahrae6

Asked by hannahrae6 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in my opinion, i do not see anything wrong with babies laying on there bellies. i do not have a concern for SIDS, unless.... i am not going to be in the same room as her for more than an hour. if she is sleeping next to me on her belly in her basinette, thats fine with me. no concerns.
    Anonymous

• my son WILL NOT sleep on his back, so...he sleeps on his tummy. I would just leave it. They need their sleep and so do we! But you will have have those SIDS nazi's telling you to put him on his back. It's up to you!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Let her sleep on her tummy and just keep checking on her, stay close by.
    Anonymous

• My kids have preferred to sleep on their tummies. I don't sit right there when they are sleeping to make sure everything is ok but I did check them while they were sleeping.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• my daughter is also a tummy baby she is 7 months and she has slept like that her whole life and will probably continue to..i just check on her every so often...im sure your baby is fine
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 1:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My babies like to sleep on their tummies too, but knowing that it's much safer for them to be on their backs I chose safety for them over comfort and ease for me. I always put them to sleep on their backs until they could roll over on their own - after that point, there's not a whole lot you can do. My oldest really did not like his back, so when he was really little I propped him on his side with a blanket rolled up behind him.

Answer by missanc at 1:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• When my first was born. She would only sleep on her tummy. It was aweful to try and make her sleep on her back. If we did she did not sleep long. I talked to her Dr about it. She said since she has great head control it was ok. Just to keep checking her more.
    Anonymous

• If she's rolling to her tummy...leave her. There's no way to stop her. If they are rolling on their own, it's okay to let them sleep on their tummies...thats what my dr told me.
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician says you shouldn't have them on their back anyway. The new standard is on the side. You are supposed to roll up a blanket and put it behind the back to support them or you can buy foam sleep wedges at the store. You should be able to find them at any place that sells baby stuff. Then change sides night to night so they don't get used to one position. Frankly I don't think you can do much about it anyway. As soon as babies start wiggling they find what is comfortable for themselves.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• my daughter loves her belly, it calms her gas down alot
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 4:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010