What techniques do you use for potty training if you work and your kids go to daycare?

My 2 1/2 year old boy/girl twins are in daycare while I work. I believe my daughter is ready to potty train. She is requesting to "go potty" fairly frequently, and lately she is actually doing something when we get there. Last night I decided to let her wear panties from the time we got home until the time she got ready for bed. In that time she made at least 4 successful trips to the potty. I am thinking we will go with panties at home for now and pull ups at daycare and bedtime. Does this seem like a reasonable way to start? At what point do I send her to daycare in panties? How have you handled potty training and daycare?

Any suggestions for my son would be great too (I don't think he's quite ready yet, but maybe soon!)

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a mom of 3(and daycare provider) I would suggest you keep her in panties at all times unless she is sleeping. It sounds like your daughter is pretty much training herself, which is wonderful! Just take a couple pairs of extra panties and pants to your provider. Also, make sure you and your provider are on teh same page....for example at my home, after 2 or 3 accidents in 1 day, the child is back in pullups for the rest of the day. I did this with my 1st 2 when they were in daycare and I worked outside the home. As for your son, most boys take longer, they definately have in my house! So just wait until he is showing some interest. Good Luck!
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would only use pull ups at night rest of the time panties she is really ready. I did the pantys or underware during the day and pull ups at night. With my 3 year old he was being stubborn to potty train we had use M &M's it really worked with him boys are so hard to train...To me anyways. But i would stick with panties all day til bed she is ready.
    sweet_bumblbee

Answer by sweet_bumblbee at 1:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would talk to the daycare providers; I'm sure they are willing to help with the training and clean up some inevitable messes. I would also keep her in undies full-time. If you really don't feel good sending her to daycare that way, then you could try underwear with a pull-up over it, so she still would feel the accident but it wouldn't get all over the place. But really I doubt that would be necessary.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thanks! I will talk to the daycare and go from there. I knew pull-ups were a no-no, but I figured they were a necessary evil with daycare until they were fairly well trained. She really is training herself and forcing the issue; I didn't expect that! I had planned to wait a few more weeks until we got moved, but I don't think she wants to wait any longer.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2010