molestation

as a child i was molested by my father and i have never told anybody ever, i have been struggling over weather to tell my brother or not he has a daughter thats 3 yrs old which is close to the age that it happened to me my dad isnt around much but when he is i dont think my brother leaves my niece alone w him. i would feel horriable if anything ever happened to her, i know i need to say something for her sake but i dont know how to do it. has anyone ever been in this situation, what did u say, did ur worst fear come true and ur whole fmaily found out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• I'd tell Dad for one thing and let him know you and family will be watching him and that he needs to make sure he doesn't create a situation where anyone has to worry about him and the child. Even if you don't tell the rest of the family at least he will think you did and are watching his every move. If that's not an option then yes, tell brother. I believe in protecting children at all costs.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• tell everyone. your dad should be in jail.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 1:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• A friend of the family touched me inappropriately when I was about 6 and I tried to tell my mother but she didn't believe me so I just kept my mouth shut about it. a few close friends know as well as my SO. He eventually got caught molesting his stepdaughter. I felt so bad because I tried to speak up but was almost called a liar by my own mother. You might want to say something. It might make a difference.
    Anonymous

• I say tell him. Let him know your intention is just to give him the heads up so that you can have peace of mind in knowing you did the right thing. If he doesn't believe you that will be his regret if God forbid something happens. I think by telling him he may at least be more careful to not leave his child with him.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• obviously you're not ready to tell everyone or else you would have. Tell him in private that you need to talk to him and that you want it to remain private. tell him you're not trying to stir up family drama, and that it will hurt you if everyone knew. Then, just tell him, but if i were you Id be ready for everyone to find out, because its going to be very emotional for him too.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• please please tell him. If something did end up happening you would feel soo guilty. No child deserves that
    Anonymous

• If you cannot bring yourself to say it, write a letter or bring in a third party who you can tell (a friend, a counselor) and ask that person to tell your brother. Make sure to tell the mother of the child too, your brother may be more apt to disbelieve such a thing about your father, but his wife, or gf, or ex or whatever will protect her child. It is your responsibility to protect your neice from the pain you have gone through.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i ended up telling my bro and told him to keep it bw us idk if he believed me or not but he told his wife about it, so im hoping it goes no further than that, it runs just about every part of my life and im not ready to deal with all the drama thats gonna come along with it getting out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010