Male childcare provider?

Would you let a man watch your child? If so, what would be the minimum requirements - would he have to have previous experience? References? Would you do a criminal background check? What else?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 1:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I was looking at various daycares for my son, we looked at a couple. There was one in particular that both my SO and I liked. It all went downhill when my SO found out a male worked at the daycare center. In the end my son did not end up going there. But personally I say if you have did background checks and have references and have a good feeling I say go for it.
    Anonymous

• I would do everything I do for someone else to watch my child. I worked in a daycare and there was guy there. He was the best worker there. He was awesome with the kids. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My ds is 13 and he would make a great sitter but people are so paranoid because of all the perverts, there are 100 in a ten mile radius of us. It's too bad because some men are wonderful role models for young boys. Everyone should have background checks to work with children.
    Anonymous

• I would do the same I would for anyone watching my child. Gender doesn't play a role to me. woman can just as easily moslest a child as a man. men just get caught more often. I have read some sick crap about both men and woman. So i am pick about any person period.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would do all the same whether it was a male or female. Some guys have early childhood education degrees too and just can't get a job right out of college teaching in an elem school. They are just as qualified as a girl to the do the job.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Agree with above....Men catch a hard time when it comes to working with children. Then we complain when they act like they dont want to do much with the kids...CANT have it both ways. They should be held to the same standards as women when going through the hiring process. Back ground/drug testing. Strict reference checks.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Yes, my dh, my brother, or my father. That's it. But its not a gender thing, only family watches my daughter. So, the women that I would be okay with watching her are also all family.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would do a background check and refrences. If it was in a daycare setting I might be more comfortable then if he was and in home provider but in general I would probably be ok with it.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2010