how old were your kids when you allowed them to play outside w/o supervision?

How old was your child when you started to let them play alone in the front/back yard? i'm not talking about running around the neighborhood, just around the perimeter of your home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Alone? 8. But I allowed my 6 year old daughter to go out with her 8 year old brother. We live in the very back of a neighborhood on a cul de sac, so it's fairly safe - if we see cars this far back in the neighborhood that we don't know, everyone notices!

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• When my kids were 6 or 7 I let them play in the fenced back yard alone. I let my younger son go in front with his older brother when he was around 6 & older son was 9. I let them go down the street to a friends together when older son was 10 & younger was 7..but they had to stay together.
    Anonymous

• same as me, my grand[parents wouldn't let me (or anyone else in the nieghborhood) play outside alone unless they were atleast 9-10
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I also live in the end of a cul-de-sac in a small neighborhood. It's safe we get no traffic. I let my 4 year old play outside by himself, I think I let him go outside by himself at 3 1/2 I just check on him frequently and look out the windows a lot (we have a house full of large windows and sliding glass doors.)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My child is 9 and I still don't let her out alone. But we live in a horrible city that isn't safe.
    Anonymous

• Around 4 is when he was allowed to just say, hey mom, I'm going outside. He stayed in the yard. But, at 2-3, I could leave him for a sec or two to grab his drink or something. We also lived in a VERY quiet, very nosy town and my yard was way off the road.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I feel bad for my angel.. I don't know if I will ever feel safe for him,,,,
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It depends on the neighborhood. I have lived in crappy areas where my kids were still watched at 9 10 yrs old. We have moved alot and I have 4 kids from 23 to 5 yrs old, sometimes It has been 4 yrs that they could play without me keeping a close eye out. Right now we live in a very quiet dead end road type of neighborhood, only 6 houses, but I didn't let him out alone til 4 yrs old. I would say the youngest ever was 3...when my 2nd daughter was 3 we lived in the country, she played outside with the dog by herself.
    Last summer I was at the park and saw a 4yr old playing alone, no adults, he lived down the block...all I could think about was how easy it would be for someone to drive by and kidnap him or what if he got hurt, nobody would know.
    Anonymous

• We live in the middle of nowhere with a large fenced area right of the back porch and it has all their toys. My oldest was allowed out there around age 4 and his sister will be allowed out with him alone this year (they will be 5 and 3). I am always doing dishes or cleaning up in the kitchen and can see out the window. Now if we lived somewhere in town NO WAY would they be allowed out yet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My girls are 3 and 4, we have a large deck off the back of our house where there play house set they can go out there and play we have a sliding glass door so I can open it and here and see them. We also live on ten acres and they are allowed to go off the deck and to their play area where their swings and stuff are or over to where the dog is all of which is visible out the back door. They know they are not allowed to go around the front of the house or the pasture unless my husband or I are with them.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010