anxiety attacks

what happens when you have one? what to you take for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• anxiety attacks can have several symptoms associated with it which are rapid heart beat, increased rate of breathing, sweaty palms, clammy skin, not being able to breathe, ringing in your ears, feelings of passing out, passing out. Depending on the severity of the anxiety attack the symptoms will be mild or worse. Breathing deeply and resting quietly while either sitting or laying down helps. Learning how to stay calm and knowing the attack will end will better enable you to get through an attack. Medication should NOT be taken unless the attacks are affecting work, sleep patterns, and daily routine and physical function. See a healthcare professional for an assessment on the severity of the anxiety attacks so as to fix your health. Hope that helps!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't take meds for them. I have learned to calm myself, mostly through breathing techniques. I close my eyes and take deep breaths in through my nose and out my mouth until I calm down. I also remove myself from what triggered the attack

Answer by admckenzie at 1:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Breathe! When I get one it's usually when I have to go to a event, party, church function, etc. Social anxiety attacks! I get really nervous, sweaty, can't take a deep breath. My DH can usually tell it's happening and he holds me till I cry! Then I feel better knowing he is by my side! I don't take any medication for it as it's not that bad. I can handle it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i had them when i was a kid because of a medication i was taking. My heart would start beating really fast and i would feel overwhelmed like i couldnt get anything finished fast enough. I had to get antidepressants which didnt seem to help..i don't take any meds now and i dont really have anxiety attacks too often anymore. Sometimes i do but i can control it just by sitting down and taking a little break from what i am doing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• thank you
    Anonymous