My 5 yr old is very skinny and pale How can I get some meat on his bones and color in his skin?

He's so white and scrawny. No body fat a very pale. He just won't eat.
He has been under weight since he was 3. That's when he decided he didn't like food. I have to wonder if there isn't something wrong. He does grind his teeth and the dentist says that's a medical issue not a dental issue.
The only thing he will consider eating, is chicken nuggets,hot dogs,jelly sandwich,pizza,yogurt,spaghetti but it has to have meatballs, choc. milk and juice is all he will consider eating.
but now any of this he has to be in the mood for, he does not fill up on drinks and will go all day without eating. Me and my husband ask him all the time if he wants food, he just says "no,not right now" the other night I got irritated and told my son if he didn't some of his dinner I was throwing the wii out the window. He ate 3 bites.
I just hate seeing all these healthy 5 yrs olds at school and he's pale & very skinny.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Give him vitamins and take him to the doctor for a complete blood work up and physical. Something needs to be done, and don't let the doctor blow it off like it's normal because its not.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• does he like snacks...no snacks until he eats

or you could be a total a-hole and be like my grandpa was and no drinks until you eat all your dinner. i wouldnt do it but it may work.

I never let my son leave the table until all his dinner is finished. he usually eats but if he dont then no snack later.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• What does the wii have to do with his eating? Is he playing the game so much he is forgetting to eat etc? My son can do the same thing with the computer, it is turned off before dinner and not turned back on til the next day. A distracted child can go hours without eating. Have his iron levels checked and have his ped do a complete check up on him.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Wow, my son is skinny and pale, but, he would eat breakfast like crazy. Even if he wanted to skip lunch. I could count on him eating supper and then breakfast. I don't know what to tell you except ask his doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• possibly get him flinstones vitamin(the gummy bear ones) and those kid nutritional drinks. Talk to your pediatrician and ask her if she has any ideas and to possibly check him out . Good luck!
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 2:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Does he give a reason? Does it hurt his teeth? Does it hurt his stomach? Maybe there are some psychological issues at play? I really think you should consult a nutritionist, doctor, and/or counselor depending on what you think the root of the issue may be.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• op here.....he even hates Gummy vitamins!! he doesn't drink with his food and if he wants a snack it HAS TO be healthy that is why he will go all day, because he is stubborn and the wii fits in because it's his favorite thing and I use it to get my way.
    Anonymous

• My son also would grind his teeth, but, he stopped at about age 5 or 6. No real issues from it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• OP here....I made an appt. but it's not until next week, which is better then nothing, He has his last physical 6 months ago and his blood work was fine, but things can change.
    Anonymous

• Has he had any lung issues? RSV?
    My brother-in-law is 15 1/2 and is 5 ft tall and 70 lbs. He is very, very pale and he lives at the beach. He has no body fat, you can count all his ribs. He looks so bad. He looks no older than 10.
    He had RSV when he was 6 months old and they didn't think he would make it. He was on oxygen for a year. He had a tank with wheels and 30 ft. of tube to move. It caused permant damage to his lungs. The specialist said this sort of lung damage can cause his to not be hungry. We have to tell him to eat and watch to make sure he eats. He has taken vitamins for years.
    Take your child to the Dr. and make them do every test possible. If my in-laws had keep taking my BIL to the specialist (he hasen't been in years) they could have given him some growth hormones. He has missed several growth spurts and his height and weight are causing attitude and self- confidence problems.
    Anonymous