Breastfeeding???

I'm breastfeed, well pumping at least, and my milk supply seems to have gone down, i will get maybe and oz or 2 on one side in 5 mins and then that's it and my little girl eat about 4oz and i try the other side and i get maybe less then an oz. Does anyone know how i can get my milk supply back up?

My little one is two weeks old

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, stop pumping and actually nurse. Pumping doesn't stimulate the production like nursing does.
    Anonymous

• Can you allow little one to nurse at the breast? Breastfeeding works demand --- supply. That means if your little one demands more (sucks a lot and frequently) your breasts will supply more. There are herbs you can take. Raspberry leaf tea is supposed to be good. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• There is a lot on that link I sent but this is the really relevant part- You get very little or no milk when you pump. The amount of milk that you can pump is not an accurate measure of your milk supply. A baby with a healthy suck milks your breast much more efficiently than any pump. Also, pumping is an acquired skill (different than nursing), and can be very dependent on the type of pump. Some women who have abundant milk supplies are unable to get any milk when they pump. In addition, it is very common and normal for pumping output to decrease over time. More about pumping- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It IS harder to maintain a good supply with just pumping. If there's no way you are going to directly nurse, then pump every 2 hours around the clock. Yup, even when you're sleeping. Fenugreek, Mothers Milk Tea, oatmeal, goats rue, More Milk Plus, are all supplements of some sort that can help increase supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Get rid of the pump and start putting the baby to breast if at all possible. The pump is no where near what the baby does and at this early in the game you need to have the baby to breast as much as possible. If not possible then start pumping more often, take fenugreek, oatmeal, up your water intake, etc to increase your supply. Do a google search on "power pumping". It is too long to explain in this little box. The best bet is to get baby to breast though if at all possible.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• do you plan on exclusevely pumping or do you actually want to nurse?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• A 2 week old is eating --4 oz-- out of a bottle? I assume after 4 hours?? At 2 weeks my son could not eat more than an oz at a time..

They should be getting 1 oz per hour - generally - so if you're giving 4 oz every 2 hours you are likely over-feeding. I mean just because I COULD eat an entire cheesecake doesn't mean I SHOULD eat an entire cheesecake, KWIM?? At the very MAX it can be 1.5 oz per hour, so 3 oz after 2 hours at max. You just pumped 3 oz, so I don't see how you didn't pump enough? 3 oz is great pump output by the way.

Pump outputs generally get smaller and smaller. It's not a supply problem as much is it is supply regulation (it's all supply and demand). You'll need to start pumping every 1 - 2 hours even at night in order to get enough and keep your supply stimulated.

Alternatively, you could make your life a lot easier and put your baby to your breast. Het a nipple shield and stop bottles.

Anonymous

• All good answers above. I'll add one thing. Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group. We can help you.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You best bet is to start breastfeeding. The next best bet is to learn to pump more effectively. Check out this video, most moms could pump 50% more using this technique: Maximizing Milk Production with Hands On Pumping

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010