Any Moms whose kids are on medication for hyperactivity? How is that working out?

My son's school keeps strongly suggesting that I put him on medication (we've went through all the testing but haven't taken him to the doctor yet for a diagnosis). I know that my son is hard to deal with at times and I'm unsure of the right choice. My brother had ADHD when he was younger and the pills they gave him made him angry. While I think that medicine could help him I'm worried about how they will effect him and my ex-husband and I plan to sit down and lay everything out and make a decision. I just wanted to hear from other moms who have or are going through the same thing.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• They have much improved medications now then they did a years ago. Years ago they just put you on Ritalin & that was it. Now they have other things that are more effective with less side effects. My son took Straterra for about 4 yrs. It really helped him a lot & he didnt have any weird side effects from it.
    Anonymous

• Yea, my brother was on Ritalin and it made him VERY aggressive. My mom had to take him off of it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I could not have raised my oldest without "dexadrine" I didn't spell it right but without the med she was very much out of control!!
    I hear allergies play a part in ADHD but I don't know, you could get him tested for it and rule allergies out.
    All I know is for me having her on a medication helped me parent better and helped her focus in school
    Anonymous

• My nephew is on it, and they actually gave him a medicine that caused him to be angry as well, and violent!!! My In laws didn't do thier research and just put him on it. I think medicine isn't a bad thing, as long as you know side effects and it's not the only thing depended on to help aid in the fight against ADHD and hyperactivity.
    Now he's on a medication and it seems to be working for him.
    But I truly believe you have to have structure in the home etc.
    Anonymous

• Before medicating, take him to an allergist ans have him tested for food sensitivities. Food Panel Rast test for IgG. It's done by blood draw. Also removing ALL artificial colors & flavors, HFCS, excess sugars from his diet should improve behavior.
    Check our www.feingold.org for more diet info.

You can also give him fish oil. And there are herbal pills available at health food stores to aid in concentration.

Mind altering drugs should NOT be the first treatment. They should be a last resort.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2010