Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

What sort of affect do you think this will have on us?
What do you think the shift of the earth's axis will do?
Any opinions?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 2:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The axis shift will change weather patterns.  Al Gore will use the changes to promote his agenda.  The ignorant will believe him.

Anonymous

• none that you could sense really
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The earth will end when it ends. No use in worrying about it. Just my opinion but I don't want to sit and worry about something that is completely out of my control when I can live out my life until the end doing things I want to do in life.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I guess those flags and markers placed on the North pole and the equator are a little bit wrong now.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• A shift in the earth's axis is one of the theories out there for the end times. I also heard this morning that the quake in Chili may be a precursor for another massive quake in northern California and Washington state.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Nik, this has NOTHING to do with the end of the world. The earthquake shifted the earth's axis and may have shortened our 24 hour day by a fraction.

The time difference, probably negligible. The axis shift I find more interesting.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• what a bunch of bull.
    Anonymous

• Wow, anon :40, so you are smarter than a NASA scientist? That's amazing! Where do you work?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I"m wondering if it's part of the days shortening that the Bible talks about. The tsunami in Asia 6 or 7 years ago knocked the earth off it's axis some too.
    Anonymous

• I find this interesting. Thanks for posting. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010