Does Your State Have a Breastfeeding Law? Do You Think Such Laws Are Needed?

I'm just curious. A while back my state, Illinois, passed a law that a woman has the right to breastfeed her child in public, covered or uncovered. I'm just wondering if your state has anything like that. Do you think such laws are needed?

(I almost posted this in "Food and Drink" just for kicks! LOL)

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 2:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's needed to keep people from flipping out when you have to stop and nurse your child while out and about.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I live in IL too...but, I didnt know they needed a law for that?
    I personally wouldn't feed my baby in public unless I absolutely had to....personal modesty.
    Anonymous

• Yes there needs to be a law. So many people flip out. Even if you are covered up. This person didn't even know I was breast feeding. Till she came up and said she wanted to see the baby. I told her she was eating. Then I got the lecture how I should do that at home.

I have no clue if mine state does.I should find out.

Anonymous

• Yes these laws are needed because of the people that would seek to stop us from feeding our children in any place that isn't the toilet.
    Anonymous

• There should not be any laws at all---it should be an individual decision. LAWS? I am quite sure we have enough. The Government should stay out of our personal business.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Anon :44, I breastfed my kids in public frequently and was never immodest. You see more tits on billboards than I ever showed.

Men walk around without shirts all the time, their nipples showing. Why is that okay? Many of them have breasts much larger than mine, BTW. lol

Personally, I don't think we need more laws, instead we need more liberty. Feeding your child should not be an issue regardless of where you are.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• All states need this law, if they don't already. A child should be able to eat where ever and shouldn't have to be covered, just like everyone else can eat in public. I think you just shouldn't look if you don't want to see it, just like I turn my head when I see half naked females in public.
    Anonymous

• Our state has one (pennsylvania) but there is no consequence for breaking it. I truly do think it is needed because I should have every right to feed my child whenever and wherever. Now I do try to be modest, but my kids would not let me cover them with a blanket. You see less looking at me nursing my child with no blanket covering them then you do when the little hoochie girls walk around with what they call clothes.
    Anonymous

• There is such a law in TX. I think it's great. I know women who have been asked by ignorant store managers to leave the store while breastfeeding and this enables them to be able to feed their child when necessary.

My younger sister (who is 15) has a guy friend who was complaining about how "gross" it was that mothers could do that. You'd better believe I set that kid straight!

Also, I personally always brought a blanket with me if I thought I might need to BF in public, but I'd never expect a mother who didn't to have to hide in her car or the bathroom. That's just uncomfortable, not always accesible, and unsanitary in a bathroom.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It is ABSOLUTELY necessary, unfortunately, in a lot of states women can still be ARRESTED for feeding their child.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010