10 going on 16...

Someone please give me some valuable advice about my 10yr old!! I feel like I'm failing as a mother. Like I said, my dd is ten yrs old & for the past 2 yrs her attitude & disrespect has gotten worse. I havent always been consistent in my punishments, but really I dont even know what the right punishment is for a sassy attitude & talking back. Lately she's been giving me & her teachers major attitude when we tell her to do something she doesnt want to do. And sometimes she will even talk back. She wont straight up tell us "NO" but she will wine about having to do things & make comments like "but I did the dishes yesterday", or "I dont feel like doing this or that".. last week her teacher called me to tell me she got in trouble for back talking her- the teacher got on to her for doing something & my dd got mad a threw a pencil across the room & when the teacher told her to pick it up, my dd said "its just a stupid pencil" (CONT)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• (CONT)

And on top of the bad attitude & disrespect, my dd is also a HUGE follower!! When my 16 yr old sister comes over to visit, my dd will literally be glued to her from the time she comes until the time she leaves!! Like a leach, she will be up under her doing everything she does. Its scary almost to see her act this way. It cant be a normal thing for a 10 yr old to be doing right? Please HELP me out here.
    Anonymous

• It is normal, somewhat, but this type of behavior did not just start. You had better put down some hard rules or some form of discipline because by the time she is 16 she will be totally out of control. The answer to your question is she does not respect adults. Somebody has to make her. I tell my 4yr old already that "Doing what you want and not listening, brings you a hard life."
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Don't negotiate. Ban your dd from her aunt. Socialize with ds over the phone and in email. Don't back down keep it up. Your goal needs to be that you 10 year old (10!!!!!!!!) knows you are the parent and that she is not legally of age to make ANY decisions at all.

Stop losing your temper. Speak firmly per time the chore, attitude needed and punishment if not done.

You allowing a 10 year old to run your home.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• ... meant socialize with your sister in email and over the phone. She doesn't have to come over if it offsets an uncontrollable child.
    That's what a 10 year old is, a child.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i have a 12 10 and 8 yr old! i think that kids try to test there limits and see what they can and can not get away with! put your foot down hard NOW! they go back to normal after awhile..... but right now she is just testing to see how far she can get! go back to when she was like 2 and 4 yrs old and they whine or they cry for something and as mom sometimes we give in so we give it to them so that they stop! well she is doing the same thing but now shes older! :) good luck with her!!!
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2010