been looking for a good dog food

so i bought this brand called blue baffalo and i'm not sure i like it. one it.s pricey but i want to feed my dogs the best so i don't really mind accept for the fact that ever since i switched to this brand one of my dogs started to get her poo and she is pregnant by maybe just one wk along. i'm thinking she might need some supplements or is missing some type of nutrient. so what other brand should i try? any opinions on this brand or others for pregnant dogs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Blue Buffalo is a good food from what i have seen but other good ones are Canadae, Innova, Taste of the wild, Solid Gold, Verus, Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, California Natural (great for dogs with allergies or sensitive tummies) Merricks, A good place to get information on differant diets is  http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/     Most of the food i mentioned are pricey however, they are good quality diets.  I am always leary of dog foods that cost less then 20 dollers for a big bag.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'd ask the vet. Hope things are ok for new puppies when they come!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Did you make the switch gradually? Blue Buffalo is an excellent brand, but some dogs get an upset stomach if they are switched suddenly from one brand to another. How much are you feeding? If you went from a low-quality food to BB, you will most likely have to feed a lot less. Overfeeding can cause diarrhea. Or it may just be that your dog doesn't agree with the food. Just because a food is good doesn't mean it is the best for every dog. Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for their ratings. I would stick with a 4 to 6 star food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I guess KyliesMom5 and I were posting at the same time. lol I would also like to add that the vet isn't always a good place to ask for advice on dog food brands. Most of them are NOT trained in nutrition and what little training they do get is taught be Hill's (Science Diet) or another low quality commercial company.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I switched my dog's to Blue Buffalo about 6 mnths ago & they love the stuff! Both dogs have sensitive tummys & since starting the Blue, neither has had diarrhea, upset stomach, vomiting or excessive gas. Since they've been on the Blue, their coats are super glossy, their eyes are bright & you can just tell they are happy dogs. B/c it's really good food, your dog's waste probably smells really good to her, which is why she is eating the poo(lots of dogs do it). You can add a bit of meat tenderizer to her food or buy a special food additive from a pet store, this will make her poo smell foul to her & she won't eat it anymore. I did the meat tenderizer thing and both dogs quit trying to eat their own wastes.

Btw, congrats on the new pups!
    Anonymous

• actually i not sure if i'm feeding her the correct amount since my math is so weak. i feed 2 dogs that weigh about 5-6 pounds 1 1/2 cup to divide between the 2 of them twice of day. the cups per day on the bag for their weight and age says between 3/4 and 1 1/2 per day. so am i feeding them enough or to much? i did gradually add the new dog food to them and it's been a month or so since i started to do it.
    Anonymous

• I just recently switched my 5 dogs (Black Lab, Greyhound/Mastiff, Beagle/Basset & 2 Yorkies) from Purina Pro Plan with shredded meat to Blue Buffalo. The salesperson at the pet store told us to gradually change their food over because we were basically going from serious junk food to health food. They told us to start with a 1/4 BB and 3/4 PPP and then to increase a little the next day and a litttle more the next day and after a week or so we were up to 100% BB. The dogs never had an issue with the change. We don't feed our dogs by cup. We have a huge bowl that hold 3# of dog food and with the PPP the dogs were going through 1 bowl every 24 hours and with the BB 1 bowl is lasting us 48 hours. The dogs love it but they are eating less of it because it's not junk food. On top of the dog food they also get 2 BB dog biscuits a day...1 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m.. They go crazy for them.
    Anonymous

• If your dog is pregnant you need to have her under a vets care, just like you would for yourself.
    Yes the dog needs extra calories and vitamins to have a healthy pregnancy.
    How do you know she's pregnant?
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would feed them separately so you know how much each one is eating and can make sure each one is getting the right amount. Which formula are you feeding? Looking at Blue's website, there aren't any formulas that tell you to feed a 5-6lb dog 3/4 to 1.5 cups. The small breed chicken and brown rice, for example, says to feed a 5-6lb dog 1/2 cup per day. It doesn't say how much extra to give a pregnant dog, but I think I would start out adding an extra 1/4 cup, then watch her weight and add another 1/4 cup if needed. Although I've never had a pregnant dog so I'm not 100% on that.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If you do not know how much food your dog should be eating, you should not be allowing her to breed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2010