how to get my 3yr old to

stop crying everytime i leave. Every time I go somewhere my 3yr old has a big fit, He runs after me and crys i take him back in he runs back out. then when we do get him in when i come back he starts crying agin. i dont know what to do anymore. he is a great kid other than this.I feel like a bad mom for having him stand there crying at the door when i leave.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you leaving him with Dad, babysitter, or what? Is his caregiver consistent most of the times you leave? My best advice is to make sure you're deliberate about explaining to him where you're going and when you'll be back. Make sure you don't try to sneak our or keep him in the dark about your plans. Sooner or later, he will understand that you always do come back. At that age he could respond well to a small reward, too. Maybe you could promise to bring him back a sucker if he can say good-bye with a simple, "bye mom, love you, see you later," hug and kiss. This is what worked for my 2.5 year-old when she started nursery school. If she could say goodbye like that, I would bring a dum-dum after school when I picked her up. It took about a few weeks (2 days/week) of offering that possibility of reward before she actually did it, but she did.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010