Question about TRICARE PRIME and HOMEBIRTHS(have standard now)

I had prime, switched to standard because the MTF near by i dislike and didnt want to deliver my child there and i had two c-sections. All other hospitals near by either took prime or didnt but didnt let me do a vba2c. So anyways, due april 1st. have my own midwife and she used to come down once a month now every 2 weeks. my question is when can i go ahead and switch back to Prime? i called tricare and the lady was like every month on the 20th you can only go and switch and if i switch to prime before the baby is born then i need to see if they will cover it. i told her that i know they wont and my midwife is free of charge because i dont pay her. i only pay gas money. My intuition is march 25th when i will have my son. but regardless should i switch to prime right after he is born? and call deers & put him on it? i dont want any problems with Tricare prime and the army hosp.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Haha good luck tricare is the land of it's not my job. Whoever you need to talk to is never working and no one ever seems to have any answers. Anyway If you're over E4 is pay grade you have to be on standard for an entire year before you're even allowed to apply for prime. On prime they get to pick your dr. for you but you don't have to pay anything. On standard it's $25 for your entire pregnancy. For the first i believe it's 60 days or it was a year ago your child is covered under prime and you can see any dr. you want. To get him enrolled in deers you need to have a social security card and birth certificate. Good luck and just stick with what you're doing. While pregnant is the perfect time to be on standard because it costs you almost nothing.
    Anonymous

• LOL thanks but i know how to enroll. I dont think you understand what im saying. I had tricare prime, i switched to standard to get a midwife to let me have a natural birth have 2 c-sections. Later found out there are no hospitals near by that will let you do that here in Tacoma, WA. But i stayed on standard. I been on prime for many years and 15 months long as well when DH deployed and i got to see the family practioner i wanted for my self and kids that was 5 mins away. I live off post and i dont drive. Its was easier to take a taxi to see the doc i wanted for my own reasons then go on base 20 mins away to see dumb military doctors. Im going back on prime because its free and i can still see any doctor i want. im trying to go back on prime because i want to get my eyes checked and get new lenses for my glasses and its free for the apointment. cont.
    Anonymous

• I know how to enroll in tricare prime and standard and deers. my question was when would be a good time. and it looks like after my son is born and it would have to be April 20th to re enroll. My dh is not over E-4. he is a E-4 so im good. but thanks for trying to help and answer my question.
    Anonymous