Women at Catholic colleges engage more frequently in sexual "hook ups" than women at secular colleges...a new study shows, and researchers suspect alcohol may be the reason...

...a new study shows, and researchers suspect alcohol may be the reason.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2010/02/study-catholic-students-more-p.php

This does not surprise me. What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Me neither!!!!

Answer by older at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i think wanting to have sex, men and women, has nothing at all to do with where any one lives or goes to school. It's hormonal.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm not even going to waste my time explaining how stupid that study is...

Anonymous

• i grew up in a town that is majority Mormon and in high school the Mormon couples were more sexually active than the couples of people who didn't go to church...i think it is because the church pressures religious children to avoid it so much that it makes them want to do it more and more...
    Anonymous

• Maybe the Catholic girls had a broader understanding of what "hooking up" meant and were more likely to respond yes. According to the article a "hook up" is any "physical encounter between two people" so it doens't mean sex - it could mean just kissing and hugging. Maybe girls in secular college didn't count making out as hooking up?
    Anonymous

• Sure, alcohol made them do it, not their choice...

Studies have shown that teen and unmarried pregnancy occur more frequently in "fundamentalist" families.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Maybe.....I was determined I would not have sex and it had nothing to do with church because our family didn't go to church. You just have to make up your mind that you can wait to have sex when you are grown up and married. It is just that simple. Even when I had a lot to drink in college at parties,on dates,,I refused to have sex...it was too important to waste it on a "fling". I waited for my husband. And, like I said, I didn't even go to church and I think I only believed in God. And myself.
    Anonymous

• I didn't read the study but I'm sure you can do other studies showing different results. There is a lot of sex going on in college period.  Does this mean everyone, no but in general it doesn't matter if the school is secular or religious there is a lot of "hook ups" .  Are there any studies on boys sexual activity in religious vs secular school?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Well I do remember when I was looking at colleges to go to, I saw Notre Dame was one of the top "most drunk" schools. My mom was Catholic, so I know pre-marital sex and drunkenness it's not a reflection of their beliefs, it's just seems there are a lot of younger folks aren't very serious about following the beliefs.
    Anonymous

• Ok I read the study and what it actually statesis that women who attend Catholic universities hook up more than RELIGIOUS females that are attending secular schools. That is very different than saying that they hook up more than all women who attend secular schools.
    Here are some quotes from the article:

Researchers at Mississippi State University found that religious female students tend to hook up less, unless they attend Catholic-affiliated institutions

In addition, students who attend church more regularly and report a deeper personal spirituality -- especially women at conservative Protestant schools -- are less likely to hook up.

So in essence the study really shows that out of students who are religously affiliated Catholics tend to hook up more than other affiliations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2010