Lactose intolerant!

My dd is lactose Intolerant(she's only 6 months) and I realize yesterday how much we use milk in things. how am I going to make her not feel different if her sister can have something and she cant? Anyway have any suggestions on the situation?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• switch to lactaid or soy milk in cooking, and lactaid for your other child to drink. It's not going to hurt physically the growth of your other child to drink one of those. My dd was two months when she went on lactaid but I didn't have a problem with my son. At six months old really she probably just cares that she gets something from a carton that sister or brother is getting from a carton too.

Your older kid(s) just need to be reminded frequently that sissy tummy needs to grow healthy too and THIS milk help sissy.
    My dd was on lactaid for about three years. Then she was fine with regular milk products after that.

I gave my baby yogurt for her ice cream and toddler years, she grew up on that so it was ok.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• OP my 6 month old doesnt drink from a carton she is on soy formula. She doesnt care now(she is too young to) but she always seems to want something I have and I'm always nervous on giving it to her!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My DD has food allergies. My DS does not. Much of how your daughter will take to the situation will depend on how you approach it. DD knows there are things her brother can have and she can't. IT doesn't phase her. We have a very 'oh well' attitude about it. As in "so what, it's just food. No big deal." There are 'safe' substitutes for most items. We make a very big deal about DD's "special" treats. DD is truly allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. Not intolerant. We keep her allergens out of the house for the most part. The rest of us have adapted. DD hands off her party-favors and Halloween candy to DS in exchange for 'safe' treats. Honestly, she could careless about giving up those things. What's the chance your DD will outgrow her lactose intolerance? I know 80% of infants/toddlers with a milk allergy will outgrow it. Give it time. Don't panic. see what happens.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• We use lactaid milk or deans dairy ease. Lactaid brand also has ice cream and bryers has a lactose free vanilla ice cream. When something is cheesy my daughter takes the chewable lactose suppliments. You may not even have to worry, some kids grow out of it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I read up on Lactose intolerance when she was diagnosed and there is a difference between a milk allergy and lactose intolerance. You can get over a milk allergy but an intolerance is forever. A lot of people get confused about the two.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would be careful with soy products. In lab tests soy caused infertility in mice.
    Anonymous

• I think I'll take my chances on the soy formula. You wrote on mice and my dd is 100% human. thanks anyways
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• my biochemistry professor told me that all humans are lactose intolerant. the enzyme to breakdown milk is supposed to disappear from your gut as you wean...but i think that bodies are beginning to change b/c we as humans insist on drinking milk from a cow from birth to death. just b/c some bodies learn to deal with it, does not make it healthy at all. i suggest your whole family go dairy free. start small, every year cut out a bit more. first cut milk. then cut ice cream. then cut butter. then cut yogurt. really, your body gets more calcium from veggies than it does from milk even though there are huge differences in the amount. weather there is an intolerance or an allergy, we should listen to our bodies when they tell us something is no good for us. you can try cutting dairy yourself..try it for one month, and then see what your body does when you have a glass of milk.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would wait until she is older and it's an issue and see how intolerant she is. I'm lactose intolerant but I still use regular milk in everything. I eat cheese and ice cream. I just have to limit it and deal with the consequences if I eat too much (feeling sick to my stomach). It doesn't keep me from partaking in my favorite dairy products.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• happy2bmom25, I'd rather not cut out milk from my life, I love it! and thank you justanotherjen that was very helpful!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010