How old to be acceptable?

I see alot of post about young moms. How old in your opinion does a woman have to be to have kids and it be ok?

mom0609

Asked by mom0609 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• over the age of 20 or older. i know as a young mom for me the older i got or get i'm more nurturing. weird
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think if an 18 or 16 year old decides to keep her baby and has her family support and/or that of the birth father's then she is ready to be a mom.

Any woman of any age struggling without emotional support and is emotionally a wreck is suffering herself.

Too bad there aren't 'villages' of women in communities in the U S to nurture moms of other ages with babies and kids.
    Anonymous

• I say that people should wait to have kids until their mid twenties. You can't really provide a loving nurturing dual parent home without being married a while. You want to have time to travel, go to school, get married, go places and do things together before you have kids and can barely take a shower. I'm sure there are young mom's out there that do just fine but I'm sure none of them would disagree that they should have waited.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe there is some magical or automatic "age" when a person becomes capable of being a good parent. It has far more to do with intent, maturity, and motivation than it does chronological age.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 3:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Anon :46, bullshit. I don't think I should've waited. I was only 20. I hadn't been married for more than 6 months when my daughter was born. It's been the best thing to happen to me, and I think I would've gone insane when my husband had to go to Iraq if I hadn't had my daughter there to care for and show me just how wonderful my life still was.

It all depends on the person, their maturity and their stability, not on age.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and Anon :46, I'm going to school right now and will be finishing my degree in three more terms. I have been across the country WITH my daughter and my husband and we've seen a lot of awesome things- museums, landmarks, frivolous amusements.
    Anonymous

• I'm young, divorced, with 3 children... I would not change a thing in my life.

When I am in my 40's I will have grandchildren, and will be young enough to provide them with the fun-loving, physically active relationship that I never would have been able to if I had waited, likewise, my children benefit from having a mom that can function on 3 hours of sleep, and still keep up with them (and not be on meds to do so).
    By the time I am 40, am well established, and CAN travel I will be able to do so.

Would I recommend what I have lived through to anyone? NO. Do I condone teen pregnancy? NO. But it is also NOT the end of the world, and these girls need as much loving support as they can get, in order to become loving nurturing mothers their self. Instead, we are shunned, mistreated, emotionally abused by society, and then faulted for not being "well adjusted"...

I find more of an issue with "OLDER" moms, than with young ones.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• maybe i should have added how many young moms wish they had waited
    mom0609

Answer by mom0609 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i wish i had waited cause one my first husband really sucked and we all suffered, emotionally, fiancially etc. i wish i finnished school and matured a bit. my kids would still of been mine just at a later time in my life and we would of had it easier. i wish i had given them more then what they got in their younger yrs. all in all they turned out great but it wasn't cause of we went through but through christ anything is possible. although my choices took me places i wish we had never been. so yeah i wish i waited. i so much more nurting now as my hormones changed. i was always a good parent just not loving attentive or touchy enough.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i got pregnant at 18, would never change a thing (planned pregnancy) but i was financially secure, responsible and mature...so i wouldn't put a "magical" age of when someone should have a child, it really depends on the person.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010