How much protein when you are working out?

How much should you take in daily? i workout 4-5 times a week and am trying to lose a little fat & gain muscle. I have been drinking the shakes & eating foods with lots of protein.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes. Well i drink a shake everyday. Shakeology and it has 40 different ingredients. Plus i eat a very balanced diet. For lunch i usually have a half piece of chicken and some veggies. And dinner i do as normal. a Meat a vegy and a small portion of a starch. And then i have a small snack here an there of fruit. A lot of people notice a better weight loss when they eat more protein. My mother in law lost weight just from eating only chicken and not working out. its different for most people
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Break your daily caloric count down to 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fats. Some protein(like the shake) within half-an-hour after working out.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 4:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I agree with desert_diva.

I exercise a LOT, and while I don't tally grams of protein per day, I always eat protein before and after workouts, as well as with every meal.

Protein bars and shakes have their merit, but I personally would rather eat a small meal of chicken salad (canned chicken mixed with mayo, green onions, salt and pepper) and veggies than a sugary bar.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 8:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010