What are the risks from an epidural?

I see people on here always talking about the risks of having an epiduralb and I'm just curious what the risks actually are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• One of the main risks is the drop of the baby's heart rate.
    Anonymous

• back problems. i had epidurals and i had dd 3 yrs ago and i still feel pain where they placed
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Anonymous

• it slows progress of labor, it can drop the babie's heart rate.......I'd google it.
    I've had and epidural and a spinal and have had no side effects...and niether did the baby...that I know of.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• honeslty i couldnt handle the pain, so TG for the epidurals. but i was worried my baby might have fetal distress. i also TG that didnt happened.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 4:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• For the mother: low blood pressure, spinal fluid leakage, prolonged inability to walk -- also, they don't always work. There is a risk of the doctor doing it wrong and damaging the spine.

For the baby: heart rate rapid decrease or increase, disorientation, difficulty latching to the breast after delivery

Slowed labor, decreased oxytocin production, increase risk of c-section, vacuum extraction, and other medical procedures. An epi can also decrease prolactin production which in turn will cause milk supply to be low.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• of all the moms i Know, myself included that have had one i have never heard of anyone having any of the problems listed. i have had 2 (had 4 other births just natural).
    Anonymous

• Prolonged or slowed labor, which can lead to an increased chance of c-section, among the other risks already mentioned and probably others, too. Although, for me personally the idea of hour after hour of excruciating labor trumped the potential risks as epidurals are obviously used with relative safety all of the time.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Well, my epidural didn't work-and I had a c-section. Imagine being able to feel every bit of being cut open. 1 in 10 women don't respond to epidurals.

Back problems, increased risk of c-sections, slows the mothers and the babies heart rate, etc... I don't think they're safe-even in the slightest and would never get one again.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• ecodani, is correct.. Many women just don't realize it was the epi that caused the need for a c-section, or BP to drop, fetal distress,4th degree tear etc..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2010