How much does it cost to have rights terminated?

I'm basically adopting my 15 year old sister. My mom is signing her rights to me and giving me custody and we have a consult tomorrow. She wants us to pay for it but we're doing it for her so I think she should pay half if the price is outrageous. So if anyone knows, how much is it?

GothicMommy3

Asked by GothicMommy3 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Adoption

• You'd have to ask an attorney. Prices vary. Since she is doing it willingly it shouldn't cost much. The court costs would be the high dollar cost so call the courthouse and ask them how much the filing fee would be.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It might be cheaper just to be made legal guardian. Just a thought.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Sorry if I sound stupid for asking, what exactly is the difference between adopting and being made guardian? Because I'm all for either and don't know much about either besides my sister is now going to be my responsibility.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think the diference would be that if you adopted your sister then she would become your daughter by law and if you have legal guardianship then you would still be her sister but just have the "say so" in her life like a parent if you will.

i think thats how it would work. But check with a lawyer to get all the facts
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Those differences are correct (that TLW514 stated). I would say that guardianship is probably cheaper than adoption. However, it would vary by attorney and by state. In my state, a guardianship costs about two thousand dollars. Roughly.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Adoption is also permenant where custody can be overturned if at some point in the future mom wants to fight it. It's hard to do as she would have to prove you unfit. Custody can be just as expensive as adoption if it is fought but with everyone in agreement it shouldn't be to bad.

One way to help keep your costs down is to not call the lawyer over every little thing. They charge by 1/4 hour increments and they can add up quickly! So if you have a "quick question they will charge you $25 @ $100/hour even if it just takes 5 minutes. You are better off to save up your questions and then ask them all at once instead of calling everyday. They will have their base fee but then add all those little calls on top of it. Now if something major comes up say mom changed her mind, was arrested, etc you need to let him know.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:28 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Okay, thanks guys. You are all very helpful.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't think the court will let you pay for it. If she is basically giving her child to you, she would have to worry about that. But honestly I don't think it costs much if anything at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i don't know with it being a family member, but we had an uncontested step parent adoption and it cost us about 900 for everything, but we didn't have to have a home study.
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 12:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2010