What would you do?

My 13 yr old hurt his little brother. As punishment I took away all friend visits for 1 month. He told his best friend that he couldn't have anyone over. As I am waiting for my son to get out of school today my cell rings. It's my sons best friend, calling from my son's cell, asking if he could come over because he missed his bus. I said no and asked if my son had told him about his punishment. He said yes he knew of it. I didn't offer him a ride or anything. I was very mad that he even asked to come over knowing he couldn't. I guess he used my son's cell to call his mom for a ride. So should I have offered him a ride or what should I have done differently? His mom & I are friends so I feel like I should have taken him home but I was mad that he made the fact that he missed a bus my problem. Urgh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have thought my son and his friend was trying to scam me into getting thier way,lol. So I probably would have initially done the same thing...without thinking. But I would have felt bad after I thought about it...to not have offered him a ride home. But who is perfect? You were upset. Don't worry about it..at least he was able to contact his mom for a ride.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would have offered him a ride.
    Anonymous

• A month? wow, did he kill the kid? That's way too long for a punishment and I believe it will be ineffective. I'd try something that is more reasonable and that he learns something from. Oh and that was just wrong not taking the kid home. I'm sure his mom thinks you are not much of a friend after all.
    Anonymous

• you should have taken your sons friend home...how would you feel if your son rode the bus an he missed it, wouldn't you want your friend to take him home even if her son was in trouble?
    Anonymous

• obviously, your son's friend was able to call someone and get a ride, so I wouldnt feel so bad about not offerring since it sounds to me like they were trying to scam you (ie. missed the bus on purpuse). however, since you are friend's with your son's friend's mom....I would probably call her and let her know the situation. I would explain that you were upset when he called, and probably apologize for not having offered to take him home. I am pretty sure that your friend will understand. It is very likely I would have reacted the same way depending on everything. don't beat yourself up too much about this. And its pretty normal for kids to try and find someway out of a punishment...so other than just explaining to him that there is no way he can wiggle his way out of this one, I would leave it at that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Kids are sneaky and clever!  I bet he missed the bus on purpose.  Stick to your punishment!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You know your kid. Use your gut feeling to decide if he was manipulating. In hindsight, I'd probably have given the friend a ride, but only for the convenience of my friend, his mother. At the time, though, you made a fine decision. You showed your son you stick to your guns. You might want to talk to the other mother & tell her you're sorry about not helping that one time, but it was only because of the punishment situation. You'd be happy to help her out next time.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010